Christopher Bunn's Reviews > Asterix the Gaul

Asterix the Gaul by René Goscinny

Jan 03, 2012

There's a bookshelf behind the piano at my parents' house full of almost every Asterix book (and Tintin book, for that matter). I grew up reading the Asterix books, over and over and over again. I started out in appreciate of the adventure and crazy characters. As my thinking progressed, I started appreciating the punnery as well. They're wonderful books, superbly drawn and written with wit and real affection for the art of story-telling.

I'm extremely selective about buying new books. It comes down to shelf space, the cost of money, being able to find a lot of decent used books in thrift stores or used book stores, etc. However, the Asterix books are well worth their price new. The collection at my parents' house is jointly owned by my brothers and my self, so I can't run off with them in good conscience. That said, I've started slowly amassing my own collection.

If you enjoy the Roman Empire, puns, violent (yet kindly) Gauls, and feasting on roast boar, you will want to own these books. All of them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Asterix the Gaul.