Caroline's Reviews > To Catch an Heiress

To Catch an Heiress by Julia Quinn

Jan 03, 12

Read in January, 2012

Witty dialogue, poorly crafted narrative, almost irrelevant action and cookie-cutter romance.

After the fourth or fifth (I lost count) verbal duel between Caroline and Blake I almost gave up on this book. A happy ending was inevitable, and the back-story of Bonapartist smugglers held so little promise that I didn't care what happened to the odious Oliver Prewitt and Mata-Hari clone Carlotta, both of whom are introduced at the beginning of the book, and both of whom we know are bound to show up at the end.

Blake's angst over the death in undercover action of his beloved Marabelle (shades of Irene Adler) is revisited one too many times and the breathless description of Caroline's painless and instantly orgasmic defloration did what this HR trope always does: snaps the very thin thread suspending the reader's disbelief.

The biggest puzzle of this book is the author's introduction. It didn't make sense. Ms Quinn reveals that, at one point, she thought that To Catch an Heiress was the worst thing she'd ever written, until the idea of "A Word a Day" vocabulary building gave her an insight into the incomplete character of Caroline.

This epiphany may have done something for Ms Quinn, but I still don't know what connection it has with the story, apart from the cute "Word of the Day" that prefaces each chapter, and could have easily been deleted without affecting the book for better or worse.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Catch an Heiress.