Between the Covers's Reviews > Between

Between by Mary Ting

Jan 31, 12

bookshelves: blog-tour, ya-fantasy, ya-paranormal-romance, young-adult
Read in January, 2012

REVIEWED by Louise for Between the Covers blog:

Between, the sequel to Crossroads (read my review HERE), returns us to the vivid world Mary Ting has created. We find Claudia trying to live her life, trying to be a “normal” teen in a world that she has learned is anything but. (Side note to Claudia... Normal is soooo last year. Embrace your inner uniqueness, young padawan!)

Okay... I have to say this. *mumbles and says really quickly* There were parts of Crossroads that moved a little slow for me. The same cannot be said about Between. This book totally brings it with the intensity and action. The writing is much more fast pace, the dialogue snappier. The wonderful imagery from Crossroads is present once again, making the settings easily visualized. Ting is awesome at painting with words, in my opinion.

The characters also continue to grow, changing as the words flow across the page. *raises hands and makes sing song gestures, encouraging my lovely BtCers to join me in saying* Character development is vital, and is well done in this book. Ting puts Claudia in real life situations, and I think that is the key to her appeal: watching her struggle with these things makes her much more believable and relatable. Ting is also one of the best at writing YA morals books I have come across, and she does it again in Between... the story reflects the author’s morals, and her belief that right will triumph over wrong, and good over evil is reflected in her books.

Filled with endearing characters, a love triangle (and who doesn’t love a face off between hotties), a battle between good and evil and plot twists I never saw coming, the sequel to Crossroads will draw you in and have you turning the pages well into the night.

Rating: 3.5 stars
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between.