Lauren's Reviews > Fate's Edge

Fate's Edge by Ilona Andrews

Jan 03, 12

I own a copy

Audrey Callahan is determined to escape her former life as a grifter in the Edge and live a nice, normal, legal life in the Broken. At least until her father comes to her for one last heist with a pay off she can’t afford to pass up. Kaldar Mar is an agent of the Mirror, a lady’s man, a scalawag, and a gambler. His latest assignment has him searching for a powerful artifact stolen from an impenetrable fortress in an enemy country full of terrifying monsters. Not that any of that is a problem. No, Kaldar’s problem is Audrey, the stubborn redhead who broke into the nearly impenetrable fortress and stole the powerful artifact. He’s going to need her to survive, but can he let her go once the mission ends?

Before Fate’s Edge I’d never read an Ilona Andrews novel. I’d looked at their Kate Daniels novels, but any time I could find the first one I’d be too broke or too busy to get it. That’s something I’m going to have to rectify. Fate’s Edge made me laugh far more than I’d expected. Audrey and Kaldar’s constant attempts at figuring out each other’s angle were just cute. Audrey’s issues with her family were fairly well written and touched on enough to be believable without getting annoying. Kaldar manages to strike a balance between serious business government agent and freewheeling gambler that makes him both charming and rather frightening. The character interactions are top notch with a blend of serious moments and humorous back and forths that serve to humanize the characters. The world is fantastic, all three of them in fact, the Edge and the Weird are every bit as thought out as the scenes in the Broken. The only characters who weren’t terribly interesting were the villains, and that’s forgivable in the grand scheme of things.

One of my only issues with Fate’s Edge was that I’d have liked to have seen more regarding the differences in the way that Kaldar thinks of his family as compared to the way Audrey thinks of hers. My other thing goes back to the villains; they came across as being evil for its own sake as opposed to the heroes who were out for family and country. It would be nice to see them get more development in future books.

By the end of the book I definitely wanted to read the rest of Ilona Andrew’s bibliography and I’d definitely had a blast reading this one. I’m giving this a four out of five because of the thing with the bad guys and some nitpicky things about characters thinking in circles, but I’m also definitely going to pick up the next in the series when it comes out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fate's Edge.