Steph Sinclair's Reviews > Quicksilver

Quicksilver by R.J. Anderson

Okay, WOW. I commission everyone to go out and read this series. Because... because... because of reasons. Awesome reasons.

Why is it that every time I finish a novel by R.J. Anderson, I can't find the right words to review it? How can I possibly give someone a run down of a book with so many twists and turns and plain old fashion AWESOME?  I can do better than that. Let me try this again.

Quicksilver had me flipping pages as fast as humanly possible from beginning to end. If you are a sci-fi fan and you haven't read Quicksliver's predecessor, Ultraviolet, then my question to you would be: DUDE, what the hell are you waiting for?!

Even though I thought Ultraviolet was slightly predictable, I enjoyed every minute of it. Immediately after finishing the last page, I knew I needed a sequel. So I waited and waited. And when I saw Quicksilver appear on NetGalley, I quickly requested it. I hadn't even read the synopsis because I had made up my mind a year ago that I'd read it no matter what it was about. You know that feeling when you've read a book that you've been highly anticipating and it exceeds your expectations? Yeah... THAT. And since it's really hard to review this book without giving away spoilers, I'm just going to tell you three things I LOVED about Quicksilver.

Plot:

So when I said I didn't even read the description before starting Quicksilver, I really meant it. I went in expecting the story to pick up from Alison's point of view and was surprised to learn that it was Tori Beaugrand instead, proving once again that reading is indeed fundamental. And I was initially hesitant to this change because Tori wasn't a character that I exactly liked in Ultraviolet. But after reading the first chapter and hearing her 'voice', I was a fan.

The novel starts with Tori, her mother and father moving to a different city to avoid police curiosity and more questioning. She leaves behind her old life, friends and even Alison, to start over, renaming herself Niki. She hopes that the events that occurred at the end of Ultraviolet are far behind her, but she later finds out she is still in danger of returning to Mathis, the scientist who had originally sent her to earth as an experiment. With the help of the enigmatic Sebastian Faraday and a new character, Milo, Tori races against time to do whatever it takes to remain on Earth.

There really wasn't any slow moments or down time in Quicksilver. Tori has a very short window to destroy the relay's ability to beam her back to Mathis and the clock is ticking throughout the entire novel. Quite literally too if you consider the binary countdown clock at the beginning of each new chapter. I thought that was a really nice touch and added an extra level of suspense. I really wish I could say more about the plot without spoiling anything, but I can't. The plot twists, however, were very well-placed and unexpected.

Dynamic Characters:

Anderson really takes her novels to another level with her characters. First it was Alison with her synesthesia and then there is Tori. I can't really say what it is about her that makes her such an interesting character because it's a spoiler, but I have never seen that done in a YA novel. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen it done at all in any book I've read. It's like Anderson picks these different aspects to really make her characters stand out and feel REAL.

These characters have real issue that don't just get solved with fairy dust by the end of the novel. And in Quicksilver, Tori is put in the worst possible situations to the point where I was genuinely horrified during one scene. I kept thinking that Anderson would save her from such a fate, but that's what I love about her books. Her characters don't always get what they want and you can just feel their pain and desire for it. But you also feel their resolve of the inevitable. Just as in Ultraviolet where I was rooting so hard for Sebastian and Alison to somehow get together by the end of the novel and... it didn't happen. I was flabbergasted that Anderson would leave Alison so broken after everything she had been through and not give her one piece of happiness.

Photobucket

So I was hoping, with all the power that a reader could posses, that they would work things out. BUT UGH, it's so dang complicated! I was angry, yet I was I happy. Strangely, I sorta love it when an author GOES THERE and doesn't give her characters and readers what they expect and want. It makes for a more powerful story.

The Last 25%:

W-H-O-A. That was INTENSE. During that scene my heart was racing sooooo hard! If you ever get a chance to read this book, then you'll understand what I mean.  And I really appreciate how things were resolved, but at the same time a small bit of conflict still remains, because there are consequences for our actions, even in the fictional world.

So if you are on the market, looking for a suspenseful sci-fi novel with and engaging plot and fresh characters, look no further. I highly recommend Quicksilver.

ARC was acquired via NetGalley. Thank you!

More reviews and other fantastical things at Cuddlebuggery Book Blog.
29 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quicksilver.

11/16
14.0% "This is good."
11/18
30.0% "If you haven't read Ultraviolet, you need to read it and then Pre-order Quicksilver. This book is suspenseful." 3 comments
11/19
41.0% "Now, THAT was interesting. I love how Anderson always surprises me with such dynamic characters!" 2 comments
11/19
60.0% "I should probably go to bed, but I just can't stop reading." 5 comments
11/21
80.0% "WHAT. THE. HELL." 6 comments
02/19 marked as: read

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Your tags are perfect.

Steph Sinclair Leiah wrote: "Your tags are perfect."

Thanks! I'm glad you commented. Now I know there's a pretty cover. :)

Blythe Yes! Now I can have someone to talk to and squeal over the awesomeness of this book with!

Steph Sinclair Blythe wrote: "Yes! Now I can have someone to talk to and squeal over the awesomeness of this book with!"

Yup! I'm starting tonight! Excited!

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Parent Have you read her Faery Rebels series? I LOVE those.

Steph Sinclair Stephanie wrote: "Have you read her Faery Rebels series? I LOVE those."

No! Not yet, but I want to! :)

Mithrendiel Oh wow! I'm so jealous and can't wait to hear your thoughts on this one! I loved the first book, and the way it ended makes think the sequel will be very interesting.

Blythe Mithrendiel wrote: "Oh wow! I'm so jealous and can't wait to hear your thoughts on this one! I loved the first book, and the way it ended makes think the sequel will be very interesting."

It's not really a sequel as much as a companion. (view spoiler)

Blythe (That's not a spoiler for you, but a spoiler for those who haven't read Ultraviolet.)

Steph Sinclair So I started it this morning and just noticed that it's a companion novel. D'oh! Lol.

Blythe Lol I noticed it was a companion novel when I started it, too. Totally thought it was a continuation of Alison's story, but I honestly couldn't be happier with this. How do you like it so far?

Steph Sinclair Thats what i thought! I've only read maybe two pages. I'm hoping to read more tonight after the kids are in bed.

Wendy Darling Dude, hurry up and FINISH.

Steph Sinclair Wendy Darling wrote: "Dude, hurry up and FINISH."

Ohhh! You finished? I've had so little reading time this week. Hopefully tonight! :)

Barbara (VampAngel) You people are making me want to read it now. I was waiting for the weekend, but I might not be strong enough.

Blythe YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAY!

Steph Sinclair Dude, it was freakin' amazing!

Blythe Wasn't it? And what about the ending? How kickass was that ending?

Steph Sinclair Blythe wrote: "Wasn't it? And what about the ending? How kickass was that ending?"

Never saw it coming! SOOOOOO GOOD!

Melodramaticfool no happy ending between Alison and Sebastian? D:

Steph Sinclair Melodramaticfool wrote: "no happy ending between Alison and Sebastian? D:"

There's a bit of a reunion at the end, but it's kinda left open as to if they ever really get together.

Melodramaticfool well...i suppose thats better than nothing... >~>

Steph Sinclair It is, because it was a much better resolution than in Ultraviolet.

message 24: by R.J. (new) - added it

R.J. (view spoiler)

*tiptoes away guiltily, having been caught stalking own reviews*

(I can't help it! It's sooooooo long until the book actually comes out!)

message 25: by Blythe (last edited Nov 26, 2012 04:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Blythe (view spoiler)

Just realized I didn't comment on this - awesome review, Steph! I'm so glad you loved it. AND I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING ABOUT THAT SCENE. HOLY CRAP. So intense, unpredictable, and so damn clever. My own little mind would never have come up with a climax like that. ;)

Steph Sinclair R.j. wrote: "[spoilers removed]

*tiptoes away guiltily, having been caught stalking own reviews*

(I can't help it! It's sooooooo long until the book actually comes out!)"

:D Oh, this makes me happy! (view spoiler)

Steph Sinclair Thank you, Blythe! I covered my face, almost bit my little finger off and screamed, "NOOOOOOO!!!!" Lol.

message 28: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Fantastic review. This book was wonderful - and whoa, what a whole mess of emotions. I was hoping that there would be a book3. If you are still lurking on this review Ms. Anderson, will there be a book3? Maybe Sebastien point of view?

message 29: by R.J. (new) - added it

R.J. AH wrote: "will there be a book3? Maybe Sebastien point of view?"
I don't want to say "absolutely not" because you never know (i.e. Neal Shusterman continuing his UNWIND series 10 years later), but I have no third book planned at this point in time. Though maybe I'll write a Sebastian-POV fanfic one day (is it fanfic if you're the author? Probably not. But it would FEEL like fanfic to me).

message 30: by R.J. (new) - added it

R.J. Ah yes, the (view spoiler)

Also, when I came up with THAT idea I was appalled at myself. But I knew right away it was the right thing for the story. So I'm glad you all loved it, inasmuch as one can be said to love anything so harrowing!