Vincent Chough's Reviews > The Giving Tree

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein

Jan 17, 2012

Wow. Never thought a kid´s book could generate so much HATE. Psychoanalyst´s dream (nightmare?) here at Goodreads. Although, it did make me stop and pause to think about my knee jerk 5 star rating.

Do we excoriate Dr. Seuss´ Cat in the Hat for entering a home where "mother is out"?
Should we string up the Hungry Caterpillar by his (her?) antennae for being a glutton?

Mr. Silverstein must at least be given credit for writing something that moves people to such strong emotions. For me, as a Christian, this book has the obvious message of self-sacrifice for the well-being of others. The boy, yes, is selfish - but this an opportunity to explore with the young ones hugely important human issues. Don´t just read aloud then tuck them into bed. TALK to them. Or should it all just be Green Eggs and Ham?

Heaven forbid that we explore something deeper with our children. C´mon people - do the homework. Our kid´s deserve it.

As for the literary merits, The Giving Tree kicks hiney. Great art. Simple, profound prose.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Giving Tree.