Nina's Reviews > The Name of the Star

Jan 18, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: fiction-ghosts, mysterious, young-adult
Read from January 10 to 15, 2012 , read count: 1

Ok so I really did like this book. If I could cut this book into first half, second half the first half would have gotten 4 stars and the last half 3. The story was very interesting from the beginning. The thing that I REALLY enjoyed about this book was the strong female character. Finally! Praise Maureen Johnson for that alone!! So many authors recently have the weakest female leads in their books and it drives me nuts!!!! Ok my rant is over. So Rory moves from Louisiana to England to finish out her senior year of high school at a boarding school. I instantly loved Rory and her roommate Jazza. Of course she falls for a guy so there is the love aspect as well. Gasp...what would a young adult book be without a twisty, angsty romance thrown in. I also love the idea of bringing Jack the Ripper into the present. Those murders were such a mystery and I think the fact that we will never truly know what happened or why the murders abruptly stopped makes for a VERY interesting and mysterious story line.

So basically as the book opens up Rory has just gotten to England and there has been a murder just like the first Ripper murder of 1888. A few days later there is another murder in the same style as the second Ripper murder. As the city goes into a panic Rory, Jazza, and Jerome go to the second murder site. While there, Rory bumps into a "creepy" old guy who then shows up at her school on the night of the third and fourth murders, only she's the only person who can see him. Up until this point the story is awesome. This is where the story takes a turn to 3 stars instead of 4 for me. Johnson could have made this ending much, much more interesting than it actually was. Not to say that she didn't do a good job, but it could have been better I thought. The story didn't hold my interest from this point on, but it was still interesting enough to finish and see the story unfold.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of the Star.

01/10/2012 page 53
14.0% "Ok so far this book is amazing. I like that the author doesn't take so much time over describing everything in minute details to the point that it just gets in the way of the story like a lot of books I've read lately. Also, finally a strong female character who doesn't spent every moment trying to convince you of how imperfect she is when she really isn't. So far so good!"
show 2 hidden updates…