Will Bellais's Reviews > Acting for the Camera: Revised Edition

Acting for the Camera by Tony Barr

Jun 26, 2008

bookshelves: referenceworks
Recommended for: to all actors and teachers of actor
Read in January, 2008

I read this book many years ago in manuscript. I felt it was one of the most important books written for an actor at the time. The revision, the new edition, only confirms my original observation. I have been using this book to teach actors since the late 1070s. Tony Barr approaches the craft of acting in such an honest fashion that when his approach is applied you ask, why didn't I know this before. The truth is -- you did and didn't know you did. Tony puts aside all the mumbo jumbo and implores us to understand what acting truly is: acting is responding to stimuli in an imaginary circumstance, in an imaginative and dynamic and manner that is truthful to the characater and the character's environment so as to transmit ideas and emotions to an audience. That is what acting is and there is no other definition. Tony has done it all.
The new exercises by a former teacher, Eric Kline, truly help in developing an understanding of the craft of film performance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Acting for the Camera.

11/25/2016 marked as: read