Isabelle Marie Flynn's Reviews > The Book of Human Skin

The Book of Human Skin by Michelle Lovric

Jan 03, 2012

liked it
Read in January, 2012

I find it difficult to decide whether I like this book. I find the characters of Minguillo and Sor Loreta i.e. the 'bad guys' wonderfully twisted, fascinating and interesting: they both go down roads of psychotic deterioration and get lost in their own delusional little worlds.
The good characters on the other hand, while starting out with their own personalities and quirks ended up all being rather bland, Marcella for example begins as this incredibly strong little figure of optimism and independence and devolved into some sappy Disney princess being rescued by all these people who are inexplicably in love with her. The story started out with a real feel of leading up to something amazing but I found that eventually the story just rolled off into a slightly rushed and less than unique ending. Strangely I found some of the supporting characters such as Cecila and Raphaela to be the most interesting as they weren't stuck in the black and white 'good' and 'bad' categories that the main characters do but move about in the grey area where interesting things happen, there were also points where something interesting would be happening with one character but the chapter would end and we'd be stuck reading about some other character in a far less exciting scenario which did get irritating in parts. I really loved Lovric's writing style and her descriptions of Venice and although the story is written from a variety of view points I found it moved at a good pace. I'd recommend giving this book a try as many people absolutely love it and it is a very good story, It just had certain elements to it that stopped me giving it more stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Human Skin.