Mimi Smith's Reviews > Fair Game

bookshelves: uf-r
Read in March, 2012

10 stars

AWESOME, INCREDIBLE BOOK!

This is, by far, the best in the series for me. I can't even begin to explain how much I enjoyed it. It takes place after River Marked. Anna and Charles have been together for a year or so, and we see Charles's job as an enforcer is getting to him. He has killed too many, too often and is closing himself off, even from his mate. Bran decides it might help if he sends Charles to Boston, to investigate a series of deaths stretching back 30 years. Giving him a chance to be a hero-not just a villain.

Most of the book deals with the investigation. It is very well done. It's interesting, catching and I really didn't figure it out entirely until it was intended. We follow Anna and Charles around Boston, watching them deal with FBI and such(since werewolves are out to the public), investigating the deaths of weres, the fae and humans...

As to the two of them...

"People as old and powerful as he should never be given someone to love.
For Anna he would destroy the world."

Yes, he would, but the ghosts of people he's killed haunt him, leaving him unable to expose himself to his mate, to connect to her. She tries to break through, but it's not easy. This book has less falling in love/relationship stuff than the previous since they've been together for a while. It's more Charles's struggle and the way the two of them find each other again. I loved seeing them together.

And Bran...Oh, Bran, I LOVE YOU. I so want you to get a HEA, you're awesome. And very present here...

Cute scene:

"Da said as he served Anna pancakes. His da liked to make pancakes for breakfast, but the deer-shaped ones were a new thing. Charles tried not to analyze his father when he could avoid it.

He’d woken up after flying from Boston to Montana to find his da cooking breakfast for them: sausage and pancakes shaped like deer. It wasn’t just any deer, either—they looked like Bambi from the Disney cartoon. Charles didn’t want to know how his father had managed that.
Charles preferred his deer to taste like meat and his pancakes to look like pancakes. Brother Wolf thought he was too picky. Brother Wolf was probably right.

The Ending-SPOILERS about the world development

"Then he raised the dripping sword up toward the sky and announced harshly, “We, the fae, declare ourselves free of the laws of the United States of America. We do not recognize them. They have no authority over us. From this moment forward we are our own sovereign nation, claiming as our own those lands ceded to us. We will treat with you, as one hostile nation treats with another, until such time as it seems us good to do elsewise. I, Alistair Beauclaire, once and again Gwyn ap Lugh, Prince of the Gray Lords, do so determine. All will abide my wishes.”

WHAT THE HECK? What kind of way is that to finish a book? And the next one is coming in 2013? Not Fair! I'm still under the influence of this. How will it change everything? On which side will the werewolves be? This is shaping to be a war...Come On!!!! Mrs Briggs, write faster. Or write longer books!
32 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fair Game.

Mimi Smith Baba wrote: "Great review, Mimi!"

Thanks!

message 3: by Marina (new) - added it

Marina So if I ask you if you recommend the series the answere will be YES?

Mimi Smith Marina wrote: "So if I ask you if you recommend the series the answere will be YES?"

YES, indeed. If you are thinking of starting it, I recommend you read the Mercy Thompson book 1, first. The series have different feel to them, but they are in the same world and characters overlap. Mercy is more UF and this series more PNR. Still, I love Patricia Briggs and I hope you read Moon Called.

message 5: by Marina (new) - added it

Marina I'm going through a "shifters" phase and I was considering Mercy Thompson but instead I read the Psy-Changeling, but I'm still thinking about starting it, so these series are tied together?

Mimi Smith Marina wrote: "I'm going through a "shifters" phase and I was considering Mercy Thompson but instead I read the Psy-Changeling, but I'm still thinking about starting it, so these series are tied together?"

Yes, in a sense. The major characters are connected, close, and the world changes happen in both this series. Still, I think you should read Mercy first, because there are some spoilers about Mercy in Alpha and Omega.

message 7: by Marina (new) - added it

Marina Thanks Mimi!

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Great review, Mimi.

Mimi Smith Kristen wrote: "Great review, Mimi."

Thank you Kristen!

message 10: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Marina wrote: "Thanks Mimi!"

No problem. Keep me updated on whether you like the books :)

Jacqueline I can't wait to read this book. I'm 163rd on the library waiting list. :-(

At least, thanks to your great review, I know it will be worth the wait.

message 12: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Jacqueline wrote: "I can't wait to read this book. I'm 163rd on the library waiting list. :-(

At least, thanks to your great review, I know it will be worth the wait."

Ahh, you'll get your turn :). And, yes, it's definitely worth a wait!

message 13: by Karla (new)

Karla Excellent review Mimi. I can't wait to read this series!

message 14: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Karla wrote: "Excellent review Mimi. I can't wait to read this series!"

Thank you! And I love this series and this author. Have you read Mercy Thompson books? If you haven't you should read them first, because the series are connected...

message 15: by Karla (new)

Karla No I have not and I will read them first. I did not realize that they were connected. Thank you.

message 16: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Karla wrote: "No I have not and I will read them first. I did not realize that they were connected. Thank you."

No problem :). Yes, they're very connected, the main characters are close and we see similar secondary characters...

SheLove2Read I just finished this myself and completely agree with you. Best one yet!!!

message 18: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Sherri *SheLuvs2Read* wrote: "I just finished this myself and completely agree with you. Best one yet!!!"

Yes, it is! Amazing..... I'm sad I already read it and can't read it for the first time again :)

Julia Taylor Oh yeah! I thought River Markes was her best, but this was even better. I can't wait for what's next.

message 20: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Julia wrote: "Oh yeah! I thought River Markes was her best, but this was even better. I can't wait for what's next."

Me neither *g*. But she said a few Mercy books first, then MAYBE A&O. That's ok, I love Mercy, too!

message 21: by Marina (new) - added it

Marina Since you are a Patricia Briggs fan maybe you should read her interview in Larissa's blog she is talking about both her series :

message 22: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith I'll check it out. I also read her interview on badass book reviews. She talked about a lot of things, including Bran, so check it out, too. http://badassbookreviews.com/interview-with-patricia-briggs/

I'm off to read the interview you gave me.:P

message 23: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith All right, I liked it :). Thanks!

message 24: by Marina (new) - added it

Marina any time! :)

Kristy I too thought that it was defining moment for bother series when the fae prince did that. It had almost brought tears to my eyes. Definitely the best in the A&O series.

message 26: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Yeah, it was a shocking scene, right? Can't wait to see what's next! Agree it's the best in the series for me :)

Shdnx Just finished the book, and I agree it's very good, although I don't find it amazing (it's just too short). Except for the fae declaration of independence. That part was seriously awesome, and I absolutely can't wait to see what happens in the world.

Shdnx I'm not sure this part is the best of the series. Cry Wolf was similarly good.

message 29: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Shdnx wrote: "Just finished the book, and I agree it's very good, although I don't find it amazing (it's just too short). Except for the fae declaration of independence. That part was seriously awesome, and I ab..."

Well, it is short, but I liked it a lot. I like the whole series bunches and it may be I was so ecstatic that I finally got a new PB book, I was overwhelmed. And, Cry Wolf has more relationship development, but I don't know. It's all good either way.

Shdnx wrote: "I'm not sure this part is the best of the series. Cry Wolf was similarly good.
By the way, there's a typo in the review: "The Ending-SPOILERS about the worLd [you're missing the L] development"."

Thanks. Missed that-obviously :)

Carina So excited to read this book! I plan on starting it as soon as I finish Lover Reborn!
Nice Review Mimi! (Don't worry, I didn't read the SPOILER part)

message 31: by Mimi (last edited Apr 03, 2012 08:04AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Thanks! And it's great, hope you like it. And the spoiler part has a lot of impact at the ending, so that's a relief :)

message 32: by Erika (new)

Erika 10 stars? Have to check out this series :D

Carina Do you know if this is the last Alpha and Omega, with Charles and Anna?
I'm hopping we get a Bran book too!

Jacqueline Carina wrote: "Do you know if this is the last Alpha and Omega, with Charles and Anna?
I'm hopping we get a Bran book too!"

PB has stated in interviews that she doesn't plan to write a Bran book because he works best if he can be a bit mystical. Bummer because I love his character.

message 35: by Carina (last edited Apr 03, 2012 08:29AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Carina Aww, that's too bad =( I've been wanting a HEA for him, for a while. But specially after finishing Hunting Ground.
He is an amazing character...
Thanks for the tip Jacqueline!

message 36: by Zeek (last edited Apr 03, 2012 08:32AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zeek I actually asked her about Bran when I went to her signing in my area. :P

She said she always said no up until recently because of the above and also because she believes him to be a zealot and zealots are difficult for her to feel heroic about (my paraphrase on the heroic about.) However, she did say that recently her feelings have shifted on the matter and perhaps she might give him a novella story. :D

I also asked her about Samuel and again she said maybe a side story/novella because she feels much of his "romance" happened "off-page" and is already settled.

message 37: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Erika wrote: "10 stars? Have to check out this series :D"

Yes! But start with Mercy Thompson series, 'cause they're connected and there are spoilers.

message 38: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith About Bran...*sigh*, Yes I heard he won't be getting a book. Too bad. I love Bran! My favorite character in the series. But a novella is better than nothing.

And a zealot? Hmm, not sure I'd put it like that. Just...focused and powerful. Seeing him fall in love would be beyond amazing. Happy for Sam, too.

message 39: by Zeek (last edited Apr 03, 2012 08:55AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zeek Alot of gals have expressed their dislike of bran- and from what I can tell it's because he's not a man you can control, and especially how he distastefully chose his current mate. Alot of women like to be the one in control in relationships-and GOD do I hate controlling selfishly manipulating women because it's so behind your back mean, so I'm a tad biased. take my comments with that foreknowledge- but I'm with ya Mimi because with most Men? You know where you stand- or if you dont, they aint to difficult to read why! (eh hem- POWER AND/OR SEX) And that I can respect at the very least... if I cant respect their ends.

My guess is PB feels she cant put him out there because of this. (Just me surmising, I have no idea what she's really thinking! haha)

BUT

I actually replied to her Zealot comment, "Sounds like you dont like him too much?" (eeep- My mouth got away from me but she was gracious)

To which she promptly responded, "not at all, I love them all."

message 40: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Hah. Control-no you can't control Bran, but if he fell for someone, I think he'd give his heart and loyalty in a way that would make a woman feel amazing(like with his last mate). Choosing the current one makes sense, he doesn't want that to ever happen again, losing someone, but...Yeah.

And, lol on the comment, it really does sound that way.
Maybe she really can't see him happily mated and alpha-king-of-the-jungle(world). Who knows,

message 41: by Zeek (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zeek "And tell me-is Charles someone you can control? Anna influences his life because he loves her. No one controls him."

hmm yeah, you have a point. I guess most peoples issue with him is him accepting a mate he knows is selfish as a means to an end. That is kinda shitty, but that doesnt mean he's unredeemable. We all do shitty thing at some point in our lives, I hope that doesnt disqualify us from ever getting it right!

message 42: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Yeah, that didn't bug me that much. He felt a need to have someone in his life, but feared love, so he chose someone who wasn't right for him, in a way people in pain, or scarred people do. I mean scarred by love and loss. I don't begrudge him that. He makes the most of it and he doesn't belittle or treat her like shit. He doesn't love her, but he does care for her a little, I think.

And making a mistake shouldn't disqualify you,for sure!

Carina A novella is awsesome!(Better than nothing right??)
Yes, Bran is "difficult". But that's why I love all of PB characters. They are no way near perfect. They aren't completely good or bad. They have shades, but that doesn't make 'em evil either. It makes them realistic.

I actually think Bran does care for his mate.(This is coming from not having read this book yet, so you guys might know something I don't) I would actually like to see him find happiness, either with her or another.

On the Sam book, I can understand this one better, since we saw him more on the Mercy series, but I would NOT complain if we got a novella!

message 44: by Zeek (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zeek Carina- there really wasnt anything concerning Bran and his mate in Fair Game so you are where we are!

Carina *wipes forhead* Nice! I really can't wait to start this book!

Shdnx I would totally love to see a novel about Bran as well, but I can totally understand PB's reasons for not wanting to write it. Bran would just lose the aura of mystery around him that makes me pay attention more when he's around. And all too often, when you take away the mystery, nothing remains...

message 47: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith I hope he gets someone else, but first and foremost I want him happy. I don't think he ever will be completely with whatshername, but you can't change it all in a novella.

message 48: by Llsbear3 (new)

Llsbear3 You all got me wanting to read FAIR GAME.

message 49: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Well... It's awesome. Hope you like it!

message 50: by Llsbear3 (new)

Llsbear3 FAIR GAME is good, but not as good as first two books in
my opinion. Sam is the one I would like to see get HEA.

« previous 1