Kellie Sheridan's Reviews > The Girl Who Owned a City

Aug 17, 12

bookshelves: ya
Read in January, 2012

Review originally posted at ReaWrite.com

Looking at some of the reviews on Goodreads, it’s obvious that not enough people read this book growing up. More than one mentioned how the idea of a dystopia where there are no parents isn’t a new concept, but for me… The Girl Who Owned a City is the original. This story is older than I am, and still holds up today. It’s probably fair to say that it’s a less realistic version of how events might unfold than some of the newer versions, but you can’t deny that this story sparks imagination.

TGWOC holds up beautifully as a graphic novel, and the illustrations fit the mood of the story perfectly. The cover alone was enough to get me to read the entire graphic novel right through as soon as I got the copy from NetGalley. The characters are all vivid, with defining characteristics but what really stood out for me was the quality of the backgrounds. You could really envision the post-apocalyptic world that these kids are living in, trying to survive.

I do feel like some of the pacing was off, due to the limitations of a graphic novel, (the ending seemed almost too easy) but the story is still strong enough that it might leave the same impact on kids reading it today as it did for me in fourth grade.

Highly recommended for anyone who didn’t have a chance to read this growing up, or for kids today who will live living Lisa’s story through this wonderful graphic novel. I’m so glad someone decided to breathe new life back into this story, and I’m sure it will be very well received.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Owned a City.