Pixie's Reviews > Charmed Thirds

Charmed Thirds by Megan McCafferty

Jan 05, 12

Read from January 04 to 05, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Things are looking up for Jessica Darling. She has finally left her New Jersey hometown/hellhole for Columbia University in New York City; she’s more into her boyfriend, Marcus Flutie, than ever (so what if he’s at a Buddhist college in California?); and she’s making new friends who just might qualify as stand-ins for her beloved best friend, Hope.

But Jessica soon realizes that her bliss might not last. She lands an internship at a snarky Brooklyn-based magazine, but will she fit in with the überhip staff (and will she even want to)? As she and Marcus hit the rocks, will she end up falling for her GOPunk, neoconservative RA . . . or the hot (and married!) Spanish grad student she’s assisting on a summer project . . . or the oh-so-sensitive emo boy down the hall? Will she even make it through college now that her parents have cut her off financially? And what do the cryptic one-word postcards from Marcus really mean?

This was definitely the hardest book in the series to read. At times, I did feel like giving it up and throwing it across the room. Which would have been disastrous, as I read the kindle version. But I persisted. I have subsequently noticed a pattern in Jessica Darling endings.
Within the last 10 pages, here is what happens:
book 1: She nearly sleeps with Marcus
book 2: she sleeps with Marcus
book 3: she sleeps with Marcus
and, here are my predictions for books four and five:
book 4: she sleeps with Marcus
book 5: she sleeps with Marcus

I do have to say, the ending of this one seemed a little too contrived. And very abrupt, like she thought 'Ooh! I have only 10 pages left to write! Marcus must show up on her doorstep and they must have beautiful make-up sex!'
Not that I have an issue with this, but.... most books don't feature the heroine sleeping with three different guys. Just sayin'.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Charmed Thirds.