Heidi's Reviews > The Familiars

The Familiars by Adam Jay Epstein

Jan 05, 12

bookshelves: beehive-book-award-children-s-fict, children-humor, middle-grade-animals-stories, middle-grade-fantasy
Read from January 03 to 05, 2012

I quite enjoyed this book despite the predictability and common fantasy elements. For one thing the main character is a cat (I like cats), which provides a different perspective. The end was not real hard to figure out, but getting there was enjoyable and exciting enough that I had a hard time putting the book down. I liked the fact that the focus is on the animals rather than the humans. While the book did present fairly typical fantasy motifs such as chosen ones, prophesies, evil wizards, quests, etc. There is an interesting twist at the end that I did not see coming. I definitely will be reading the sequels. Recommended for readers who enjoy animal fantasy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Familiars.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Andrew Jacobson Hi, I'm one of the authors of The Familiars. I see that you have marked my book as to-read. Now would be a great time to catch up on the first book and its sequel, Secrets of the Crown, in paperback or e-reader. You can find them in bookstores everywhere or on-line! Thanks.

Heidi Thanks for the comment. I actually have both e-books, I just haven't gotten to reading the second one yet. Someday, big sigh.