Kate's Reviews > Across the Universe

2752027
Jan 15, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read from January 03 to 15, 2012

I've been a fan of Beth Revis for a long time now, despite not having read her book. I guess I was afraid that I wouldn't like it, because sci fi isn't normally my thing, but I shouldn't have worried. I enjoy the author's blog, and should have trusted that I'd like her writing style in any form or genre.

Across the Universe is thought provoking YA novel- which is kind of funny because most of the YA I read in the late 80's and early 90's during the time I actually qualified as young adult were designed much more to entertain and not to make the reader think. The entire story takes place on a ship heading for a new planet- a new Earth. The ship is fueled as much with lies and secrets as it is anything else. Amy, our heroine, was meant to sleep her way across the universe, waking only when the ship arrives at the new planet, but someone awakens her early and life aboard the ship is as alien to Amy as Earth is to the ship's inhabitants.

Across the Universe is more mystery than science fiction, which works for me. There are dark secrets aboard Godspeed, and I found myself struggling to untangle the lies along with Amy and Elder. Although there is a romance between them, it wasn't the main focus of the story and pretty much just the groundwork is laid down for their romance in the sequel. Amy's still thinking of the boyfriend she left behind, which feels more recent than the 200 years it's been, and Elder is distracted by trying to uncover what Eldest is hiding from him.

I can't wait to read A Million Suns and anything else Revis comes out with.

01/07/2012 page 180