Brad's Reviews > A Man on the Moon: The Voyages of the Apollo Astronauts

A Man on the Moon by Andrew Chaikin

Jan 03, 12

bookshelves: adventure, history, lost-reviews
Read in May, 1999, read count: 2

This review was written in the late nineties (just for myself), and it was buried in amongst my things until today, when I uncovered the journal it was written in. I have transcribed it verbatim from all those years ago (although square brackets indicate some additional information for the sake of readability). It is one of my lost reviews.

What a personally powerful book. A Man on the Moon is such a wonderful reminder of what we are capable of as a species and what wonderful things we can accomplish when we work together. I hope to see a man on the moon in my lifetime, although I doubt it will happen, which is a shame.

It never ceases to amaze me that true life figures are so impressive when their stories are told -- whether they are really impressive or not. Is this all just spin? Is it the grandeur of their accomplishments? Whatever. I love hearing tales of Crazy Horse and Custer, of Henry V or Julius Caesar or Cleopatra. But right now I most love to hear the stories of the Astronauts and Cosmonauts.

Apollo 12's tightly bound crew of Conrad, Bean and Gordon were inspiring with their camraderie; Apollo 13's near fatal accident couldn't have been dreamt up by the greatest of screenwriters; then there's my favourite, the Apollo 17 crew of Cernan, Jack Schmitt and Ronald Evans. The finest scientific achievments of the program, and a fitting end to one of the world's greatest pursuits. Chaikan's book allowed me to take part in the Apollo adventures -- for that I am grateful.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Man on the Moon.

Chip Bought this when visiting the Kennedy Space Center - agree with you it is a wonderful book. FYI, it was the main source book for Tom Hanks’ 12-part HBO miniseries, From the Earth to the Moon, which won the Emmy for best miniseries in 1998.

message 2: by Brad (last edited Apr 07, 2012 10:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Brad Thanks, Chip. I do know actually. I own that mini-series. I may have to crack that out again this week and give it a watch. Brian Cranston as Buzz Aldren.