Benjamin Thomas's Reviews > Under a Velvet Cloak

4209082
Jan 20, 15

bookshelves: e-book, fantasy-general
Read from January 03 to 13, 2012, read count: 1

I am a completest. Thus when I discovered an 8th (and final?) book in Piers Anthony's "Incarnations of Immortality" series, I had to complete the series. I've enjoyed most of the other books in this series, although some are better than others. But in this one, what started out as a reasonable story deteriorated into a mess. Yes there is sex in this book. Loads of it. More sex than any other novel that I can recall at the moment. But it isn't descriptive sex and certainly not passionate or sensual. It is simply constant, with every character completing at least one sex act that lasts only one to two sentences. I would hazard a guess that the protagonist of the story participates in over 100 such moments. It rapidly becomes so mundane as to be both an impediment to the story and even laughable. The only reason I bestowed 2 stars instead of 1 is because of the first 1/4th of the book where an actual story is building up and had me caring about the main character enough to plow through the rest just to see how it ended.

Recommend avoiding this one, even for those who enjoyed the rest of the series.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under a Velvet Cloak.