Pete daPixie's Reviews > Bobby Johnstone: The Passing Of An Age: The Passing Of And Age

Bobby Johnstone by John Leigh

Jan 03, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: footie, biogs
Read from January 05 to 08, 2012

'Bobby Johnstone-The Passing of an Age' is a footie biography that inflicted severe awareness of the passing of the years of my life. It's not too often I can get one over any author but John Leigh's opening line of this book...'I didn't see Bobby Johnstone play' put me one up in the first minute. 'Bobby Dazzler' could have been the title of a football fairytale story featured in 'The Victor' or 'Boy's Own' comic. A run down football club on the brink of extinction from the football league with little support and even less money, seizes the chance to sign a fitba wizard. The crowds flock back, money flows into the club like a life giving transfusion and the team climbs away from the brink to the success of promotion.
Bobby Johnstone was my childhood 'Bobby Dazzler'. So yes, I did see him play, in the days of individual flair before Ramsey's wingless wonders helped to give birth to the modern team game. Although Mr Leigh didn't get to see his man play, he has certainly done a very thorough job of researching Bobby's life and career. The Hibernian glory team of the 1950's, 'the famous five', an all Scottish international forward line of Smith,Johnstone,Reilly,Turnbull and Ormond is still legendary in Auld Reekie! All this was new to me, as was much of the players Manchester City career.
Sport quiz question:-Name the first footballer to score a goal in consecutive F.A. Cup finals at Wembley. Answer...Bobby Johnstone!
Certainly one of the better football biographies, a tale from a bygone age, before the abolition of the maximum wage, when heroes ended their careers with little to show for their brilliance and pains but winners medals (the lucky few) and fading memories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bobby Johnstone.