Ali M.'s Reviews > Under the Never Sky

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

May 08, 12

Read from April 23 to May 08, 2012

Good, but not great. I liked Aria's clear arc and development – she adapted drastically and became someone different by the end of the book – and Perry is a welcome change from your typical YA male. He's a proper badass, without the pretentious posturing that so often seems to come with that characterization. As for the sci-fi: I love the concept of the Aether, even though it's never properly explained. It's an interesting seed for the novel's mythology, and as a bonus, it serves as a nice atmospheric backdrop for the action of the narrative.

Unfortunately, some of the writing just felt too thin. Maybe it's the series trend that's giving these YA dystopian debuts all of the same problems: loose concepts, key ideas left unexplained, Vague Capitalized Words taking the place of more specific terms and worldbuilding... all with the promise that the second volume will reveal more. I just think that's a shoddy way to approach a novel. I wish more authors would throw EVERYTHING they had at the first book and develop it as much as possible. Flesh it out; don't leave it for book two. Make it count.

I don't know. I guess I just miss getting all four courses from one book.

I also wasn't a huge fan of the way the romance was written. It got a bit overblown in the dialogue at certain points; I understand the value of a declaration, but I still prefer those statements to be made through actions rather than flowery words. Eh.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under the Never Sky.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dudley (new)

Dudley Danes If it were written half as well as your diatribe I'm sure it would have garnered at least 4 stars. :)

message 2: by Ali (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ali M. Ha! Well, for the sake of fairness, a diatribe is a lot easier to write than a novel.