Lana's Reviews > Love and Respect: The Love She Most Desires and the Respect He Desperately Needs

Love and Respect by Emerson Eggerichs

Jan 03, 12

Read in December, 2011

I read this book because it was one of the books that Dave Ramsey said he required everyone who worked for him to read. Sometimes the book got a little repetitive, and I didn't agree with a few things, but it gave me some things to think about. He gives a quick review of what men need from women and women need from men on page 260.

Quoting a man with cerebral palsy: "God is preparing me for heaven. . . I am in His oven, so to speak. I am being baked for an eternal purpose. I am not finished yet. When I die and stand before Him, He is going to say, 'Well done'." p. 272

In talking about giving unconditional love and respect: "First, you must get to the place where you can say, 'My response to my spouse is my responsibility.' In my own marriage, Sarah doesn't cause me to be the way I am; she reveals the way I am." (p.284)

"Think of a speck of sand. If the sand gets in the human eye, it causes irritation, then infection, and if not cared for, eventually loss of vision. But put that same speck of sand in an oyster. It causes irritation, then secretion, and eventually the oyster forms a pearl. Was the sand the primary cause of the results in the eye? Was the sand the primary cause of the results in the oyster? No. If it were, the results would be the same. The sand was an agent that revealed the inner properties of the eye and of the oyster. In a real sense, when life . . .causes irritation, you can let it develop into an infection or you can allow it to become a pearl." (p.285)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love and Respect.