CatBookMom's Reviews > The Wizard of London

The Wizard of London by Mercedes Lackey

Jan 03, 2012

bookshelves: audio-audible, sff-fantasy, audio-heard, finished-2013, finished-2014, finished-2015
Read from July 06 to 07, 2015

9/30/14 - this time of listening I heard a lot of mispronunciations, bobbled/transposed words, and a couple of places where the text repeats/stutters. I guess I'm a more-experienced listenter, or less accepting of this sort of mistakes.

From my Audible (audiobook) review, 2010:

Much as I love these tales, this is the weakest of the Elemental Masters novels. Most of the story involves Sarah and Nan, young, magically-talented girls who come to live at the Harton School in London, run by the also-talented Isabelle Harton and her husband. Sarah has been sent home to England "for her health" from her parents' hospital in Africa, along with her remarkably wise and capable African Gray parrot, simply called Gray. Nan is taken in from the streets, where she has been living a tenuous life with her drunken and drug-addicted mother, and she becomes a valued friend to Sarah and an asset to the School, even as she begins to learn how to manage her ordinary and extra-ordinary talents.

Also living in London is Lord Alderscroft, the so-called Wizard of London and a Fire Master, head of the Elemental Masters group. However, Alderscroft has come under the influence of Cordelia, a secretive and powerful Master. She has gradually cut him off from all of his ordinary enjoyment of life and his friends and surrounded him with a crowd of the politically influential, since she hopes to accompany Alderscroft as he rises to political power and influence. And then she begins to crave even more power, power beyond the usual reach of women in this Edwardian era.

This is a weak adaptation of the Ice Queen tale, with Alderscroft as the stricken boy, and while the adventures of Sarah and Nan are interesting, the story really hasn't got the weight of Ms Lackey's usual plots. The narrator does a creditable job with slightly different voices and reads at a reasonable pace.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wizard of London.

07/10/2016 marked as: read