Meg's Reviews > Point, Click, Love

Point, Click, Love by Molly Shapiro

Aug 14, 12

bookshelves: sent-for-review, read-in-2012, women-s-fiction
Read from July 29 to August 03, 2012

As much as I wanted to become invested in Molly Shapiro's Point, Click, Love, I struggled. I'm an online dating alum myself, and stories delving into the world of meeting potential mates through the Internet catch my interest. That’s what brought me to the novel, an entertaining story that kept me reading -- even if I wasn’t completely invested in the characters’ lives.

Despite heralding the four central women as “best friends,” we see very little interaction between them. The book’s third-person narration shifts focus between chapters from one woman to the next. That might have been my biggest hurdle to jump, enjoyment-wise: just as I was getting into Annie’s story, for example, we were hopping over to Maxine’s. Claudia’s situation felt the most realistic, but I couldn’t believe she was tumbling so far down a rabbit hole without anyone to pull her out. And I didn’t feel having four “main” characters was a benefit; I almost wish this had just been Katie’s story. Or maybe Claudia’s, though she made me pretty mad.

Point, Click, Love is easily digestible and occasionally sparkles with humor. Shapiro writes well and I enjoyed her turns of phrase, but her characters lacked the depth required to make me care about them. The “online dating” theme took a backseat to run-of-the-mill drama, and I didn’t feel like technology’s role in the modern dating world was explored in a satisfying way.

Fans of chick lit, modern romance and vignettes might find Shapiro’s novel an easy, breezy read for a summer afternoon. Though Point, Click, Love didn’t bowl me over, I did finish it quickly and would take a peek at the author’s future work. Maybe with a bigger concentration on the online dating scene, which was the most interesting part of this work -- whew wee, Katie and her potential sugar daddies! (You know, if the current situation doesn’t work out.)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Point, Click, Love.

07/29/2012 page 39