Grace's Reviews > The Shadow of the Wind

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Jul 26, 2012

bookshelves: favorites, around-the-world
Read from July 15 to 26, 2012

"A book is a mirror that offers us only what we already carry inside us...when we read, we do it with all our heart and mind."

And I did. I read this book with all my heart and mind, and it took my breath away. If ever there was a book I fell in love with, it's this one. I love the setting (Barcelona 1945), the characters (passionate, witty, charming, tortured), the story (a gothic mystery about books), and the writing (gorgeous, even in the English translation - but I'm thinking I must read the original Spanish). The gothic element is carried out so successfully you sometimes can't tell the difference between what is romance and what is horror - the romantic parts were horrifyingly tragic and the horrifying parts were romantically poignant. I can't guarantee the experience will be the same for you, but for me, it was perfect from the first page to the last.

Also, I'm going to Barcelona ASAP.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadow of the Wind.

Quotes Grace Liked

Carlos Ruiz Zafón
“One of the pitfalls of childhood is that one doesn't have to understand something to feel it. By the time the mind is able to comprehend what has happened, the wounds of the heart are already too deep.”

Carlos Ruiz Zafón
“Perhaps for that very reason, I adored her all the more, because of the eternal human stupidity of pursuing those who hurt us the most.”

Carlos Ruiz Zafón
“A book is a mirror that offers us only what we already carry inside us.”

Carlos Ruiz Zafón
“Julian spoke with the clear, unequivocal lucidity of madmen who have escaped the hypocrisy of having to abide by a reality that makes no sense.”

Carlos Ruiz Zafón
“I leaned over to cover him with the blanket he had been promising to give away to charity for years, and I kissed his forehead, as if by doing so I could protect him from the invisible threads that kept him away from me, from that tiny apartment, and from my memories. As if I believed that with that kiss I could deceive time and convince it to pass us by, to return some other day, some other life.”

Carlos Ruiz Zafón
“His soul is in his stories. I once asked him who inspired him to create his characters, and his answer was no one. That all his characters were himself.”

Carlos Ruiz Zafón
“We humans are willing to believe anything rather than the truth.”