Layla 's Reviews > Firelight

Firelight by Kristen Callihan

ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review!

My rating: 3.75/5 stars
First line: “The knowledge that Archer would soon end the life of another cut at his soul with every step he took.”
Favourite quote: “Their eyes met, and that spark of something hot and sharp ripped through her again. Awareness. It took a moment to realize, but that was it. She was utterly aware of him. Of the breadth of his shoulders, the deep even way he breathed, the force of his gaze. Bloody hell, but she we beset by the craving to touch him, testing the strength in those shoulders.”

Firelight was a book that I was very anxious to read. I prayed that Netgalley would lend me an ARC and so it happened. I was very intrigued by the book’s premise, a woman plagued since birth by a strange and powerful gift and a hero doomed to hide his disfigured face behind masks. Basically, it’s a Beauty and the Beast story.

Miranda Ellis has all the markings of a great heroine. She is ambitious, tenacious, brave, obstinate and dauntless. I liked about her the fact that she used her beauty in her advantage, the fact that she accepted Archer as he was and that she fought for him and their marriage (even though he thought that there wasn’t any chance for them to be together). Her “gift” was a nice touch, I thought that it was fitting for both characters to have a sense of “otherness”, it gave them a sense of equilibrium and balanced the relationship. However, I thought that Miranda was a tad naïve at times, she trusted certain people too easy and that didin’t suit her I’m-an-independent-and-self-reliant-woman. I can’t shake the feeling that, along the book, Miranda’s character got a bit lost, only to come back at the end.

Lord Benjamin Archer is a tortured soul. That was clear to me by the end of the prologue. Truth to be told, I’m beginning to think that the most promising type of heroes there is out there, is the “alpha-caring-tortured” type. I can’t describe to you in the right words how utterly adorable and cute Lord Archer is to me. Psst, don’t tell him I said that,he won’t be pleased with me! So yes, Lord Archer is a horrible character. So horrible I want to burn Miranda and keep him for myself.
I felt bad for him, because he thought that he would never know love and that made me pity him in a way. With or without masks, I knew that what he wanted to hide so much wasn’that big of a deal (except to him, because he was a big idiot). I really need to trust my gut feelings more often.

I didn’t gave this book four stars because the main mystery wasn’t really that difficult, I suspected from beginning who the killer was. I wish the main characters were a bit more realistic but since this is Ms. Callihan's first release, I won’t hold it against her. The writing was lovely and I am really intrigued by Ian Ranulf and Miranda’s siblings, Poppy and Daisy.
I would recommend this book to those who want to read a fascinating love story with strong leads, brought alive by the author's beautiful writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firelight.

02/02/2012 "Uhh, I am finally starting this. Wish me luck!"
02/02/2012
30.0% "Chapter 11."
02/03/2012
64.0% "Chapter 22. Love it so far!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lady Jaye (new) - added it

Lady Jaye Woman, you give it such a glowing review and it only ends up with 3.75 stars?!

Layla Lady Jaye wrote: "Woman, you give it such a glowing review and it only ends up with 3.75 stars?!"

Do you think that my review glows? *starry eyed* That's so nice, Jaye! Let's return to business.
Yes, I gave it 3.75* because I felt that the relationship between the main characters was a bit rushed. It was unnatural the way Archer and Miranda were attracted to each other.

Layla Besides, you know that I am not easily impressed. From my POV, to give 4* to a book is really something. Since Firelight is Ms.Callihan's first release, I say that 3.75* is good enough.