Chris Bauer's Reviews > Against All Enemies

Against All Enemies by Tom Clancy

Jan 03, 12

Read in January, 2012

I've been a long time fan of Tom Clancy and his "techno-thrillers" but found this book to be different than his usual fare. Not nearly the same focus on "gee whiz" tech, with a MUCH heavier focus on gritty, shoot em ups like Brad Thor and other authors. A good read, but not quite what I expected.

The plot is fast-paced and the characters decent. Interesting plot twists abound and the main thrust of the conflict is fairly original. There were a few observations about the book which I found off putting. There is a single (very) long, extended flashback which is woven into the entire book. Takes up WAY TOO MANY pages to establish a tragic event in the hero's back story. The body count gets so high, I felt like I was reading the script of the Seven Samurai at times. The climactic final scenes and mini-scenes were a little too watered down with little sense of drama. And quite frankly, I found the very ending to be a little bleak even for me. The only other gripe I have is that as a reader I was continually bludgeoned with the lesson of "hanging out with terrorists and/or drug cartels is dangerous!" To paraphrase Chuck Wendig I felt like I was being "whacked with a hammer forged in the volcanic fires of Mount Obvious" at times.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Against All Enemies.