Jeffrey's Reviews > Save the Males: Why Men Matter Why Women Should Care

Jul 02, 08

bookshelves: current-events
Read in July, 2008

Save The Males by Kathleen Parker

To be fair, I admire some of Parker’s columns. She is a very talented writer and the book uses facts and research to support most of her claims. Yet, I feel that the subject itself was a mixed bag, as was the book. There is inequality between the sexes. There will most likely always be an inequality due to the simple fact that men and women are inherently different. Any argument that does not account for such a fact will be heavy-loaded with emotion and will lack reason. That said, I do believe that we are not where we need to be to make the sexes as equal as possible. Women, still get the low end in the work place. I will not mention pay disparities because I see that as a red-herring. What I see is that women are put in places or situations that few men would tolerate in the work place, whether it is fetching coffee, organizing parties or picnics or supplying birthday cards and cakes. I know that I use female workers to wrap my gifts (I ask as a friend, but it would never occur to me to ask a male co-worker). I admit this because I am for the most part, the least sexist conservative individual I know.
Parker’s thesis is correct; there is a war on men and on masculinity. Yet, as a male I do not feel the need for her defense. In one particular space she argues that men should be exempt from child support payments as long as they have no say on abortion. Well, I used that gambit as a freshman in college, a friend walked over and gave the best advice a young college man will get – Don’t forget your jimmy hat (meaning ALWAYS WEAR A CONDOM). Men do have a say in the conception of a child. They can abstain from sex or take the necessary precautions to avoid disease and pregnancy. The constant battles over abortion need not be between the sexes, it is a matter that is unique in every case. She also argues about the need to make restraining orders and evictions harder to obtain. If this policy were implemented, it would mean more dead and or abused women in the short and long terms. A less naïve approach would be restraining orders that do not stay on the permanent record and do not curtail any constitutional freedoms (which in itself may be a violation of due process).
Overall, the book is a highly readable account from a conservative activist point of view. I disagree with a lot in the book, but Parker backs up much of her work with stats. I applaud her there. This is a book that should be read, if only to see the growing gap between us on these issues. I may not agree with her, but she brings up many important issues that need to be addressed as a society.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Save the Males.