Liza Passanisi's Reviews > The Life Before Her Eyes

The Life Before Her Eyes by Laura Kasischke

F 50x66
Jun 26, 08

Read in June, 2008

** spoiler alert ** Has anyone read, 'The Bridge over the River Kwai'? To my knowledge, that is the original story using the plot tool found here in 'Life'.

Having read River Kwai, I found the title of this book to be ridiculously transparent, and that pretty much ruined the plot for me. I knew the "twist" before I'd even cracked the cover. I did keep reading - I enjoyed the characters and the writing to some degree. However, I was really hoping there was going to be more to this story than simply a retelling (intended or not) of River Kwai. I couldn't find anything original within.

Had I not read River Kwai (I bet you read it in high school, maybe you don't remember.. it's pretty standard), I would have liked this book more. I didn't like River Kwai! But the plot tool in Life is an exact copy of Kwai.. I can't imagine the author is not aware of it. Perhaps she just hopes no one else is?

It's good as a knock-off.. but if you love it, ask yourself if it's the "twist" that has you so enamored. If so, I don't think credit is due here.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Life Before Her Eyes.

Becca I a gree wholeheartedly with your review. I was unimpressed...even with the twist.

Karen I think you're talking about An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge, not the Bridge on the River Kwai.