Phayvanh's Reviews > Cards on the Table

Cards on the Table by Agatha Christie

Jun 29, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: 2008, reviews, agatha-christie
Recommended to Phayvanh by: library sale
Recommended for: Agatha loves
Read in June, 2008

I suppose if this wasn't Agatha Christie , I might not have finished it, yet, it's easier to read than most New Yorker stories and just as long, so it's actually not a wonder that i kept reading.

This was the only Christie novel for sale at this season's library sale. And I can see why: the plot was too contrived, the narrative was sexist and racist. And um, what about those of us who don't play Bridge? How are we supposed to figure all this out?

This is my second Poirot book, but I'm not sure actually where it stands in the series. Christie seems done with making this character interesting and now relies on reader loyalty to flesh him out personally. He speaks much more French in this than the previious book I read, The Mysterious Affair at Styles , the first of this series, when he was such an interesting and enigmatic character.

I'm thinking that I will try to read this book in order of publication. I will probably enjoy it better.

On the whole the best part of this book is the innuendo and the unspoken of backstories that I can envision as a much more intriguing longer novel. Like the two women who lived together, their relationship, the older socialite, the Major, etc.

It was most unbelieveable that the "suspects" were all conveniently corraled into one room before chapter three.

Blah, blah....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cards on the Table.

David They are all put in the same room because they are the 4 murderers. the others are the detectives.