Elijah Jacobson's Reviews > A Bed of Spices

A Bed of Spices by Barbara Samuel

Jan 06, 12

bookshelves: books-on-my-kindle
Recommended to Elijah by: Mary B.
Recommended for: Anyone
Read from January 03 to 06, 2012

This was an incredible romance novel! The writing style by Barbara Samuel was superb. And beyond the genre of romance, this is definitely one of the best books I have ever read. Set in the 1300s during the Black Plague, it is a story of a forbidden love. Though forbidden, it emanates the theme of love superseding all. And, indeed, being more powerful than all other things. I would recommend this book to anyone, whether they read romance novels or not. I must give a special shout-out to my best friend, Mary Bellomo, who suggested this book to me. : )
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Bed of Spices.

01/03/2012 page 7
show 10 hidden updates…

Elijah Jacobson I'm not gonna rate it just yet, I'm just getting into the first chapter... but it's already hooked me, and I can tell I'm not gonna be able to put it down anytime soon. Ella is already my favorite. ; )

Mary B. Oh you started reading it! Squeee, this is my favorite book. It gets pretty intense, just to let you know. There are going to be times where you're almost positive that the hero and heroine can't possibly wind up together, but they do. :-)

Elijah Jacobson Yeah! I love how much I like it... also because of the fact that I'm lovin' 'A to Z'... Matt has come back into the book (with Jared, of course). And it's really cool how she transitions them back into the new storyline. And by the time she does, you've already fallen in love with two new guys that she focuses on from the romantic standpoint. Except that they're still far from even so much as kissing each other... a third of the way through the book, and she is doin' a phenomenal job of teasing! Anyway, I love 'A Bed of Spices' so far, but I'm still really early into it. And the fact that I can alternate between two books allows me to savor how much I enjoy each without reading them too quickly. It rocks. LoL.

Elijah Jacobson But back to the book we are actually commenting on... I can already tell that I am going to slowly fall in love with Solomon... even if in the early going he's coming across as more of a 'Womanizer'... yes, just like the Britney Spears song. Haha. ; )

Mary B. He's actually not... compared to some heroes in romances I've read anyway. They're so sweet. Their relationship is one that slowly builds and gets more intense by the second despite all of the cards that are stacked against one another. They just can't stay away.

Elijah Jacobson YAH! Can't wait... once you get around to 'A to Z'... you're gonna love it. No kidding. It rocks. It starts off weird, because you think one of the main characters, Zach, has met Mr. Right too early. Anyway, they throw some curveballs.

And even though it's in first person, you'll love it... because once the other half of this potential romance comes in, she switches between the two in first person... so you get what both of them are experiencing. It's wicked cool. : )

Elijah Jacobson Yeah, I'm just reading back into 'Bed of Spices' now, so will keep you updated. I love, in the early going at least, how much Rita cares about her sister, Etta. It's really endearing...

Mary B. Oh good! I can deal with first person soooo much easier when they switch off. One book that did this really well was Perfect Chemistry (Perfect Chemistry, #1) by Simone Elkeles. It's Young Adult romance, which I don't normally read, but in this case I actually enjoyed it.

Elijah Jacobson Coolio... I will most certainly check this one out, once I've knocked out at least two of the three I'm working through right now. ; )

Elijah Jacobson Sorry... *Rica and Etta... keep saying Rita and Ella... but I wanna get it right... FINALLY! ; )

Mary B. Did you finish it? How did you like it?

Elijah Jacobson Nope, didn't have time to make headway at work. Read it all the way to work, and all the way back. Just finished eating, so about to start again. I just passed 50%. I am hooked. I just wish that Etta could see how much her sister, Rica, really cares for her. But I LOVE it thus far. I am just a little past when they met at the river for their first sexual encounter. Well, they didn't have actual sex... though everything but. But it didn't bother me at all. I love their passion for each other. And everything about it. ; )

Elijah Jacobson I FINISHED IT! Check my Review. This book was absolutely incredible. I can't even remember how many times I cried. You get major props for this recommend! Mwah. ; )