Jana (The Book Goddess)'s Reviews > Opal

Opal by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Feb 09, 13

bookshelves: jennifer-l-armentrout, entangled, 2012-reads, favourites
Read on December 04, 2012

Sigh. Guys, I decided not to do one of my 'normal' reviews and instead do a '20 reasons why' thingy. I just LOVE this book so much, I can't even write a proper review.

So here's 20 reasons why you should read OPAL: (not that you need a reason :P

1. I’m gonna say this again and again and AGAIN. Jennifer L. Armentrout is one hell of a writer. There’s no secret that she’s my all time favourite author ever (well duh. Have you read my 2012 End of Year Book Survey and noticed how half of the answers were of JLA and Opal? Yep.) and God knows how she does it but every book of hers just keeps on getting better and better. Her awesome, addicting and tight writing is just WOW. If we’re like this with OPAL, we’re all going to be mindblown by the time this series ends.

2. The plot and story was action-packed, fast paced and holy god INTENSE. It was definitely more complex and we're thrown in immediately. And it's not just that, there's a lot of humour and funny moments thrown in there. So everyone's happy. :)

3. The characters are what make this LUX series one of my ultimate top series ever. I was dying to get back into their world and be with them again! I wanted to kiss some of them, hug some, slap some *coughAshcough* but overall, they provided the most entertaining and memorable cast I've ever read about.

4. KATY AND DAEMON. I can never ever ever get tired of reading about them. They’re definitely my favourite YA couple and I could continue reading about them always. Their relationship goes through many stuff, but their love for each other always had me grinning like an idiot J

5. DAEMON. Our favourite alien bad boy is back. And OMG. Isn't he the swooniest? If you didn't think so, after OPAL you most definitely will. We get to see many different sides to Daemon. Even more so than in ONYX. We get to see him vulnerable, protective, jealous (always my fave!), romantic, sweet and everything. He made me swoon 99%, but that doesn't mean he's not jerky or sarcastic anymore, because he still is. God, I want my own Daemon. Too bad my neighbour is 80 years old. Too badddd.

6. I just continue to love Katy more throughout this series. First, she's a book blogger. Then she's dating a hot alien. There's more, but that's all you need to know.

7. Dee! If you’ve read ONYX (well, you have read it, right??), then you must know that Dee won’t be the same ever again. She’s not the same Dee in OBSIDIAN or ONYX, but I appreciate how her character changes and continue to grow throughout this series. I admit, at the start of OPAL, I had very mixed feelings about her, but in the end I adored her again. There was this one scene when she was so kickass and I was like ‘You go, girl!’

8. Dawson! I feel so much for him! He was so sweet and charming and nice before, but obviously after the events that happened, he's not and won't ever be the same. I grew to love him, but not as much as Daemon :)

9. There's a certain character that needs their ass kicked. Preferably by Daemon. That should be enough to make you want to read it. :)

10. There’s a LOT of sexy, steamy scenes. Nuff said.

11. There's a lot of lines that I loved. Here's one of my favourites:

"Maybe because I never wanted Ash, and I wanted you from the first moment I saw you - and before you start, I know I had a bad way of showing it, but you know I wanted you. Only you."

12. And:

"You've got to understand that you are who I want. Not Ash. Not anyone else." Yes. So Ash, get the message, yeah?

13. I stayed up until 2am for this. It got delivered on my Kindle at about 12am and I just HAD to read a few chapters. Then woke up (on a Tuesday) to continue and after school, I practically raced home to finish this until the night. You should know I don’t do that to any other book. SPECIAL.

14. This book made me cry twice. That's good, right?

15. There's a prom scene! And a date scene! And a club scene! *swooon*

16. Umm. Have you seen the cover? His face. His eyes. His hair. His HANDS. Dear god, his hands. (Yeah, I kinda have a thing for hands.)

17. You'll find out if Daemon says the 'I Love You'. Or not.

18. The ending. *CRIES* Dear god, the ending. It’s just…*cries some more* Completely torn me apart. It was tense, heartbreaking and suspenseful. Hell, I didn’t think I was evenbreathing. My head hurts. My heart still hurts after days of finishing it. You guys know I’m not an emotional person, I rarely cry with books, but THIS. I finished OPAL late in the night, and that scene had me bawling and crying into my damn pillows.

19. There’s a cliffhanger at the end of OPAL. But trust me, it’s all worth it. And even though I want to knock down Jennifer’s door and demand her to give me ORIGIN right now, I still loved it. I really couldn’t see the book ending other than what she has given us. J

20. Umm. Let’s see. What else should I say to persuade you to read OPAL? Well, other than the fact that it’s my Top Book of 2012? ;)

AND THAT'S IT. SIGH. I really wanna go talk to someone about this book. Have YOU read it?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Opal.

Quotes Jana (The Book Goddess) Liked

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Kitten..." "Don't Kitten me." I scowled, on a roll now. "You left around five or so and didn't get back till when? Past two in the morning? What were you guys doing? And get that stupid smile off your face. This isn't funny." Daemon tried to get rid of the smile but failed. "I love when your claws come out.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“You haven't been smiling much. I missed it, so I decided to reward you for doing it." "Reward me?" I laughed. "God, only you would think kissing someone is a reward." "You know it is. My lips change lives, baby.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“His eyes searched mine. "Thank you."

"For What?" I loved the feel of his arms around me and how I fit against him, hard against soft. He trailed his fingers over my arm, and I was amazed by how he could make me shiver.

"For everything," he said.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Dawson shifted, dropping his head into his hand. "Do you ever stop talking?"

"When I'm sleeping," Blake replied.

"And when you're dead," Daemon threw back. "You'll stop talking when you're dead."

Blake's lips thinned. "Point taken.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I was a total fail next to Ash, but Daemon said something about me wearing his clothes that sent blood rushing to every part of my body and I didn't care if I looked like a hunchback next to her.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Honestly, as much as I love my brother, I’m not sure how I feel about him hanging out in your bedroom.” He reached out with a muscular arm and used his fingers to brush a few strands of hair off my cheek, tucking them behind my ear. I shivered, and he smiled. “I feel like I need to mark my territory.” “Shut up.” “Oh, I love it when you get all bossy-pants. It’s sexy.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Oh, dear God and baby Jesus in the manger, my eyes!” Dee shrieked. “My eyes!”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“You really shouldn’t trust a soul in this game. Not when everyone has something to gain or lose.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Just behave and don’t do anything you’ll regret in the morning." Her gaze drifted over my shoulder, and she mustered, “Wouldn’t be much.”
“Mom!”
Laughing, she gave me a light shove. “I’m old, not dead.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I love you, Katy. Always have. Always will.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“He…he kisses like he’s dying of thirst, and I’m water.” I smacked my hands over my hot face. “I can’t believe I just said that out loud.” Lesa giggled. “Sounds like one of those romance books you read.” “It does.” I started giggling. “But, oh Lordie Lord, it’s true. I’m like a puddle of mush when he kisses me. It’s embarrassing. I’m so, like, ‘Thank you, can I have another?’ Sad.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I have the feeling we just made a deal with the devil, and he's going to come back and want our first-born child or something."

Daemon waggled his brows. "You want kids? Because you know, practice makes--"

"Shut up." I shook my head and started walking.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“He immediately started charming my mom until she was nothing but a gooey puddle in the middle of the foyer.
He loved her new haircut.She got one?I guessed her hair did look different.Like she’d washed it or something.Daemon told her that the diamond earrings were beautiful.The rug below the steps was really nice.And that leftover scent of mystery dinner—because I still hadn’t figured out what she fed me—smelled divine.He admired nurses worldwide,and by that point,I couldn’t keep my eye rolls to a minimum.

Daemon was ridiculous.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“A few seconds after he stepped out into the hallway and closed the door behind him, there was a fleshly smack and then Andrew yelling, “Ouch. What in the hell was that for?” “Your timing sucks on an epic level,” Daemon shot back.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Oh! What thing? A thing with Daemon, and if you say yes, please tell me that thing starts with an s and ends with an x.” I opened my eyes and frowned. “Geez, you’re worse than a dude.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“seriosly, how good a kisser is daemon? because i imagine he jsut makes you-"
"lesa!"
"what? a girls gotta know these kind of things."
i bit my lip, flushing.
"come on, its sharing and caring time."
"he...he kisses like he's dying of thirst, and im water.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“If he made one more comment about the length of my skirt, I was going to hurt him.
And if Blake did, Daemon was going to maim him.”
tags: opal

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Oh, dear God and baby Jesus in the manger, my eyes!” Dee shrieked. “My eyes!”
My own eyes snapped open. Daemon lifted his head, eyes luminous. Then I realized my hands were still up his shirt. I yanked them out.
“Oh my God,” I whispered, mortified.
Daemon said something that burned my ears. “Dee, you didn’t see anything.” And then he added much lower, “Because you have impeccable timing.”
“You were on…her and your mouths were doing this.” I could just imagine her hand signals at that point. She went on. “And that’s more than I want to see. Like, ever.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Daemon snatched the yellow packages from my hands. “Oh! Books! You have books!”
I laughed as several people waiting in line looked over their shoulders. “Hand them over.”
He clutched them to his chest, making moony eyes. “My life is now complete.”
“My life would be complete if I could actually post a review on something other than the school library computers.”
I did that about twice a week since my latest laptop went to the big computer heaven in the sky.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I sighed. “Mom, it’s not like we’re going to have sex with you home.”
“Well, honey, it’s good to know that you only have sex when I’m not home.”
Daemon coughed as he fought a smile. “We can stay—”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I shot him a look. "That bouncer was really big."
His lips quirked. "Oh, Kitten, see, I try not to say bad things."
"What?"
The grin spread. "I would say size doesn't matter but it does. I would know." he winked, and I let out a disgusted groan. He laughed.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Rising up, I kissed Daemon's cheek. "No one trusts him, but you can't threaten him every five seconds."

"Yes, I can.”
tags: humor

34.0% "YEAH. THIS IS JUST EPIC." 1 comment
12/04/2012
46.0% "Love that they both get jealous! ;)"
12/04/2012
50.0% "I'm flying through this but can't help myself!"
12/04/2012
64.0% "Andrew - you have the worst timing EVERRRRR"
67.0% "I want to kill X!!! Bastard!!" 1 comment
12/04/2012
76.0% "Awwww Daemon you can be SO sweeeettt"
80.0% ":D"
12/04/2012
85.0% "Umm..BEST CHAPTER EVER ;)"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sydney I love the cover! So excited!!!!!!!!!!

Kainaat Qamar omggggggggggggg cover is AMAZING- i cannot wait for the book to comeout- seriously CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!! :)

Jessica (Just a Booklover) The. Cover. Is. Freaking. AMAZING.

Kristina Snyder This cover is the best one yet!!! This book releases on my birthday so I already know one thing I am getting.

Ashley can't wait!! I need my Daemon fix!!!

Jana (The Book Goddess) Ashley wrote: "can't wait!! I need my Daemon fix!!!"

Me too!!

Cindy I *JUST* found out about the date and am furious too. The 18th is too close to 12/21. If the world is going to end we won't have time to thoroughly enjoy the post Opal glow. BUT, the release part is in Houston, and I only live an 8 hour drive away. I'm thinking of trying to go.

Kami I will be your accomplice if you decide to go on a murderous rampage ;0 )

Jessica (Just a Booklover) You're gonna kill someone? ... *hides under desk*

Jocey Yes I totally finished the book just now.....and boy my mind is crying and bawling right now.... I'm so ugh idk breathless?! I have to totally agree with your review all I want is Origins so I can live again

message 11: by Tara (last edited Feb 19, 2013 03:38PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tara on #17, which 4 letter word? there are alot of them :P

Jana (The Book Goddess) Natalie wrote: "on #17, which 4 letter wird? there are alot of them :P"

Oh oops I didn't make that clear. I edited it now :)

Christyn omg I just finished Opal and I think I sat on my couch for a good portion or 10 minutes waiting for my brain to peocess it all. LOVE THIS SERIES!!!! Seriously. its amazing beyond words

Sammi_marie I.died.at.the.end :( !! This book was so good!! And i was in tears at the end. Heart breaking!

message 15: by Kyle (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kyle Brilliant book!! Daemon is awesome ... But I don't see the attraction to Katy

Kristina Snyder Can I ask you all a question. I am skimming through the books to find a scene that I can't seem to find anywhere. Can anyone remember what book Katy got shot in? The one where they had to hunt Daemon down and Dee was trying to heal her until he showed up and he almost dies as well.

Jana (The Book Goddess) Kristina wrote: "Can I ask you all a question. I am skimming through the books to find a scene that I can't seem to find anywhere. Can anyone remember what book Katy got shot in? The one where they had to hunt D..."

The book where Katy got shot was in this book, Opal (third book). Chapter 32 ;)

Kristina Snyder Thank you so much. I thought it was this book but I kept looking and couldn't find it.

Jana (The Book Goddess) Kristina wrote: "Thank you so much. I thought it was this book but I kept looking and couldn't find it."

No problem! :) I know it because my fav chapter just happened to be after that! ;)