Jessica's Reviews > Poughkeepsie

Poughkeepsie by Debra Anastasia

Feb 08, 2012

bookshelves: i-own, read-in-2012
Read in February, 2012

Review: First, I'll say that this is, for sure, an adult novel! It is very raw, emotional, and heartbreaking in so many ways. I wasn't sure what to expect with this book but wow, I was blown away. Honestly, I think it could have easily been 3 different books. It was very complex with a ton of amazing characters and plot-lines going on at once.

I assumed from the summary that this book was mostly about Blake and Livia -- I was wrong. It was so much more than that. Blake and Livia are only 1/10th of what's in this story. Poughkeepsie does start with the focus on Blake and Livia. Livia is so kind-hearted and she tries to care for Blake (who is homeless) in any way that he will let her. Their connection was simple but deep.

Through their relationship, we are introduced to several other main characters and that is when the story goes in a bunch of different directions. My favorite character was Beckett. Beckett is Blake's brother (through adoption) and he is incredibly protective. He is not the most moral person in the world but he does what he feels necessary in order to protect the people around him. He is dangerous, intimidating, and hot!

Although we meet a ton of characters in this story, I was easily able to keep up. Each character and POV held my attention. They were not "throw away" people that you forget about after the book is finished. I still remember each one and loved what they brought to the story.

My only tiny complaint with this book was just that I think it may have been better as a series. I wanted MORE. Maybe each brother should have had their own book? Mostly just so it could have been more drawn out and developed. Poughkeepsie is non-stop action and drama but maybe having a few books could have let each relationship shine a little more on their own.

Poughkeepsie is emotional and realistic. Each character has had their own struggles and they turned into their own version of a family. I highly enjoyed reading this story and I can't wait to read more from Debra Anastasia!

Recommended: ADULTS looking for a fabulous contemporary novel with a lot of grit and honesty.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Poughkeepsie.