Merrin's Reviews > Lover Unbound

Jun 26, 08

bookshelves: vampires, read-in-12, shame-i-has-none
Read in March, 2012, read count: 2

Dear JWard,

When I first read this book, I really kind of loathed it. I didn't like that V was in love with Butch but unable to do anything about it, I didn't like the BDSM, I really, really didn't like Jane, and I didn't like the resolution of the story.

And you know what? I still don't like most of those things. I also don't like that Jane, who is a very highly educated woman, speaks the way the brothers do. I didn't like that Manny, the head of a freaking surgical team in a prestigious hospital (I'm assuming), used the phrase "food up" instead of "I'm going to go eat." Everyone sounds the same, and it doesn't make sense outside of the Brotherhood.

But you know, I read your Insider's Guide, and I know how hard it was for you to write this book, and I know from reading that V can be a taciturn bastard. I know that the resolution made sense to you at the time, and reading your reasons for it, I can almost (but not quite) accept it. I'm still not going to be 100% happy with it.

And there were certainly things I did like that I'd forgotten about: the rescue from the hospital, Phury sacrificing his happiness for V's, Butch being AMAZING, John going through transition and finding best friends. This time around, I didn't even mind that V actually expressed his love for Butch and got over it, because I've grown a bit since I read this last time, and I know that it's a thin line between loving someone and being in love with them.

This is still my least favorite installment of the series thus far (she says, ominously), but I don't loathe it quite as much as I used to.

Hearts, Merrin
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover Unbound.