J.M.'s Reviews > Crack'd Pot Trail: A Malazan Tale of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach

Crack'd Pot Trail by Steven Erikson

Jan 31, 12

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from January 19 to 31, 2012

There's just something about Erikson's writing that's cumbersome to me. I've given Gardens of the Moon two earnest tries but have been unable to slog through to the end so far. The thing is, I like the world he's created, and his writing is certainly intelligent and lyrical...hmmm, I suppose it just comes down to a preference of style. I wish I could really put my thumb on it more than that, but I only know I much prefer the Malazan stuff by Esslemont, so I guess I'll restrict my reading from now on to him and find a wiki or something to follow the rest of the canon as penned by Erikson.

It's a bummer when you really *want* to like a writer's work (because the world they've made is pretty cool), but just can't. And, unfortunately, due to that, I can't fervently recommend this novella by Erikson about his excellent necromancers, Bauchelain and Korbal Broach. I rather struggled to finish it. Erikson's work appears to evoke a strong reaction, as those who love his work really love it. But, as much as I wanted to belong to that group, it's just not me. To each their own, eh?

From my perspective I can only give this book two stars, but I suggest you read more reviews, as mine is of little help. Sorry.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crack'd Pot Trail.

01/19/2012 page 36

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways I suppose it's proof of my asshattery that even the title of this tome made absolutely not one whit of sense to me.

J.M. The book starts with a group of travelers on a sojourn through a desert on the Cracked Pot Trail, but yes, I agree, a not so great title. Nice cover, though.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways "A WHAT tale of Huh? and Scuse me?" is no more inviting to the uninitiated. GREAT illo, though, you're right.

message 4: by Yong (new) - rated it 1 star

Yong En You are the only person I've ever heard of that enjoys Esslemont more than Erikson - but I understand why. Gardens of the Moon isn't as good as the rest of the books in the entire series. And Crack'd Pot Trail is so terrible it doesn't even belong anywhere.

If find yourself in the mood to be hammered by an impossibly dense and intricate plot, go ahead and skip to Reaper's Gale or Memories of Ice or Dust of Dreams.

message 5: by Yong (new) - rated it 1 star

Yong En To me Steven Erikson might well be the best fantasy author in existence. This Crack'd Pot Trail book is a stain on the series.

J.M. Yong, hey. Thanks, man. I might just take your suggestion and start with REAPER'S GALE. Next time I hit the library I'll check it out. Appreciate you commenting! Like I said, Erikson is a writer I desperately WANT to enjoy.