Traci Haley's Reviews > Explosive Eighteen

Explosive Eighteen by Janet Evanovich

Jan 04, 12

bookshelves: 2012, mystery-suspense, series-books
Read from January 02 to 04, 2012

Looks like I need to take back my wish that Stephanie Plum would retire after the last book! She's back and I think Explosive Eighteen might be my favorite of the series! There was SO much going on in this one and I love how it all resolved itself by the end! There was just enough campy zaniness without being so over-the-top silly like Smokin' Seventeen was. The mystery also wasn't nearly as obvious as SS, so I didn't solve "whodunnit" during the first scene with the bad guy(s).

My favorite scenes in the book:

- Parking garage with Razzle Dazzle... woooo! Go, Stephanie!
- Two words: rocket. launcher.
- Two more words: rats... eeeeeek!
- And the ending? Mmmm... I might be Team Morelli... for now.

I kind of wonder if Smokin' Seventeen was actually done by a ghost writer because of how much it lacked the usual sparkle and shine of a typical Stephanie Plum novel. I realize Janet Evanovich is not exactly a literary genius, but compared with this novel, SS was a hollow shell of a book with absolutely no substance... not even the standard marshmallow fluff found in most Plum books. If so, I hope JE ditched her ghost writer and continues writing Stephanie like she's meant to be written!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Explosive Eighteen.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mermaidrain (new)

Mermaidrain You and a million other people are making me want to start reading this series. Might need to give the first one a try before the movie comes out.

Traci Haley Oooooooooh you *should*!! They're really fluffy, so don't expect literary genius...but I guarantee, they *will* make you laugh :). And I'd say 90% of the series is excellent -- there are a couple of duds in there, most particularly the one before this one, but on the whole they are made of win :)