Michele's Reviews > Titan Magic

May 03, 12

bookshelves: genre-young-adult, format-ebook, own, 2012-50bookpledge
Read from April 24 to 30, 2012

This, and other reviews can be found on my blog Just a Lil' Lost

Rating: ★ ★ ★ ☆ (3.5/5 stars)

Madeleine is a mute, having never been able to speak. She is hidden away by her family, strapped to her bed in the night to prevent her from wandering off as she follows the voice she constantly hears in her head calling for her. When her brother banishes her out of the house, she wanders the woods before encountering mysterious and somewhat intimidating company.

I enjoyed that the premise of Titan Magic was really unique. Lamm has fleshed out the origin and history of her characters quite well, creating a realistic world of fantastical elements. She has developed a world of titans and golems, filled with a rich back story with intrigue and ulterior motives.

That being said, I had a challenging time trying to picture what each of the characters looked like. I felt that sometimes the physical descriptions didn't match their mannerisms or behaviour, which made it a bit difficult to buy the idea that so-and-so was doing this or saying that. In particular, I found many of the male characters in Titan Magic to be on the creepy side. With the comments and actions made towards Madeleine, regardless of their age or relationship to the girl, the dynamic left me feeling a bit uncomfortable for her. Another pivotal moment in the book felt a bit left askew where - without giving away major spoilers - Madeleine is to summon for help with the next time she "says" a certain person's name, however his name comes up several times without anything happening, as if the story's forgotten that important plot point.

It's been a while since I've read a full-on fantasy-genre book, often favouring ones that are a blend of realism with fantasy/paranormal elements. Despite my previously mentioned challenges, I did really enjoy the story. The characters will keep you guessing till the end as to their motives in this well-paced novel by Lamm.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Titan Magic.

04/24/2012
04/29/2012
64.0% "AGH. Wtf? So creepy gross."
04/29/2012
75.0% "Woah, did not see that coming!"
show 3 hidden updates…