Rachel's Reviews > The Lost Continent: Travels in Small Town America

The Lost Continent by Bill Bryson

U_50x66
Jun 26, 08

Read in June, 2008

Perennial (an imprint of HarperCollins) would like to convince you that Bill Bryson "serves up a colorful tale of boredom... that takes us straight into the heart and soul of America" and that he does so with "razor wit and a kind heart."

Falsely post-racist "humour", and the sarcastic inner monologue of an unhappy, isolated man don't serve up a "touching", "truthful", "observant", "intelligent", "witty", "genuinely funny", "hilarious" travel memoir. Much less a "dazzlingly good [book]... sensitive to the absurd" or writing that is "pound-on-the-floor, snort-root-beer-out-of-your-nose funny."

This book induced a deep distrust of reviewers from the Detroit Free Press, Newsweek, Pittsburgh Press, San Francisco Examiner, Chicago Tribune, and New York Times Book Review, not to mention the cover designer, Eric Fuentecilla. Eric Fuentecilla, I blame you. Please don't make bad books look so good anymore. Is that understood? Because now I'm in a Bad Mood. And I can't believe it. I'm on the Internet. Writing a poison review. In order to exorcise the Bad Mood.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Continent.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amelia (new)

Amelia Greenhall Someone gave me the Bill Bryson book about the AT a few years ago. It was so bitter I only got a few chapters in before I gave up on it. It's still on my bookshelf, I think this convinced me to go sell it to a used bookstore.

message 2: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel Bitter! Thank you... bitter bitter bitter. So over it. Still surprised at how much I wanted to spray vitriol all over the author. Yikes.