Tracy Riva's Reviews > Unknown Futures

Unknown Futures by Jessica E. Subject

Jan 02, 12

bookshelves: kindle, lesbian, romance, sci-fi
Read in December, 2011

I really liked Unknown Futures by Jessica Subject. It was tasteful, yet highly erotic and it handled the relationship between two women wonderfully. I like the highly unusual characters in the story and there is one scene that had me laughing out loud, it was great.

Jewel has contacted Madame Evangeline for a one-night stand because she was left scarred after a horrible incident in high school. Since that time she has isolated herself, feeling that everyone is staring at her and that she is nothing but a freak. She’s heard of Madame Evangeline’s supposedly wonderful matchmaking abilities and after another terrible day marked by stares she applies for her service. Madame Eve has found the perfect mate for others maybe, just maybe, she can do it for Jewel too.

V, the other woman in our story has a most unusual occupation – she works at a space station/resort where different species come to get away from it all. She hasn’t been back to Earth since she took her assignment – it’s a lifetime placement – and she is taken with Jewel immediately. Not only is she a fellow Earthling, but she’s also just a few years younger than V.

Jewel announces to V that she’s on the station for some mysterious date the next night, so V tries to fight the attraction she feels for Jewel, but some things are too big to be overcome and bit-by-bit she finds herself falling for everything Jewel is. V arranges for a night of home cooked Earth food, clubbing and hopefully romance. All she knows is she wants to be with Jewel.

Two characters from another of Jessica’s books, Celestial Seduction, make a cameo appearance on the space station which was a pleasant surprise in more ways than one. I enjoyed this brief but uplifting encounter with two characters I had previously come to care about.

The only thing I wished would have happened was that V and Jewel would have had a chance to discuss with each other exactly what they were feeling and thinking a little more. A lot of what happens concerning thoughts and feelings is internal dialogue rather than outward expression, and let's face, those outward expressions of emotions and vulnerabilities are part of what helps you get that "warm fuzzy feeling" when reading a romance. I loved the way the story ends, but that little extra bit of pillow talk sure would have been nice. Other than that I have to say I truly enjoyed Unknown Futures. I would definitely recommend it and I think everyone should read it because it also shows that everyone is looking for that one special person to spend their happily ever after with.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unknown Futures.