London's Reviews > Leadership and Self-Deception: Getting Out of the Box

Leadership and Self-Deception by The Arbinger Institute

U 50x66
Jan 02, 2012

did not like it

I like to refer to this book as "the worst book I ever finished reading". Meaning that I kept reading it all the way to the end (including the 20 or so pages of Arbinger Institute sales pitch), which was long past the point where I wanted to put it down and not pick it back up again. What really got me was the condescending tone of the narrator. Others have described the same thing as "simplifying concepts to almost childlike speaking" but in reality, the narrator is so condescending to the reader that they constantly deliver a message about being "in the box" in a way that makes you feel like "if you don't understand this yet, you aren't enlightened...and if you do, your probably just living in the box and not enlightened enough to know it yet". Also, if you're the type of executive who needs to read a business fable about a man whose family life is suspended in favor of his egomaniacal career, you're probably a less inspired leader than your followers realize you are. That being said, if this book gave you as the reader any kind of AHA moment, then I won't judge the value it gave to you. We all need a wake-up call every now and again. This book didn't inspire mine. Or perhaps I'm not enlightened enough yet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leadership and Self-Deception.

03/04/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Rob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob Levit Disagree, there is no sales pitch and no condescension. Jam packed full of uncomfortable truths that rattle the cages of those who resist the inevitable - we are 100% responsible for our choices and behaviors, no one else. The finest leadership book.

message 2: by Ben (new) - added it

Ben Hum Now that I'm out of my box I can say that I had an AHA moment. The fiction could have been more well written, but I got the point and I do feel like a fool for have lived so long in the box.

Robert Rich Sounds like you're in the box. :) In all seriousness, I hope you give it another chance, because I think it's invaluable.