Northwestreader's Reviews > Night Road

F 50x66
Jan 02, 2012

it was ok
Read in December, 2011

This is not a genre that normally appeals to me. I won a set of these books for my book club so I read it. I have children who were in high school more or less at the same time the story took place, we live in Washington where the story is set, and the book jacket makes the story line sound interesting, so I start with the idea that the story will resonate with me.

I did read the whole book, every word of it. This book is akin to an after-school TV special: I could almost hear the music swelling as the drama rose.

I didn’t care about the characters; they were stereotypical and not very interesting. The plot was full of hyperbole.

Next week my book club will discuss this book. I am hoping that the input of my book club friends will push me to raise my opinion of this book. Perhaps we will be able to find a discussion point that leads to some intelligent and thoughtful interchanges. After all, over the years, some of our best discussions have stemmed from some pretty mediocre books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Road.

Reddwhine Thanks for your comments. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was less than wowed with this book. We also won these for our book club. Like you, this is not usually my "thing". I really tried hard to like it and actually finished it but it was a struggle. I also gave it two stars and if I had been able it would have been 1-1/2. I will be curious to hear the reaction of the women in our club. We're all over 60 so we've been there done that with raising kids. I'll be interested in what everyone's perspective is. We also have some pretty lively discussions, even about books we don't much like.

Mary We won copies, as well. Not huge with our book group, but a nice easy read. It's funny that you mentioned after-school TV special, because we all thought LifeTime Movie of the Week!