Soumi's Reviews > The Lost Prince

The Lost Prince by Julie Kagawa

Oct 18, 12

bookshelves: mira-ink, owned-copy, owned-arcs, young-adult, fairies, books-i-reviewed, favorite
Read from October 13 to 14, 2012

“I can’t stop it. I can’t stop Them from following me. If it was just me that the fey picked on, I’d be okay with that. But someone else always pays for my Sight. Someone else always gets hurt instead of me.” Tearing my gaze from hers, I looked out over the fields. “I’d rather be alone,” I muttered, “then to have to watch that again.”

Do you remember the little boy who was kidnapped by a vicious fey, and his big sister set out a journey to find that kind to a strange and magical place called NeverNever. Well, guess what, after a time leap of twelve years, that little boy has grown into a handsome hunk. Yes, that boy is Ethan Chase and he is back with a bang.

The Iron Fey is my all-time favorite YA novel series. When I mourning over why the series came to an end, then Julie Kagawa announced there is going to be a spin off and my heart stared hammering against my ribs. And when I finally managed to get my claws on a pretty ARC and I finished the story, nausea gripped my mind in excitement and I took an entire week to collect words and wrap my thoughts around it.

A Prince on A Mission

Ethan always wanted to stay from anything relates to the magical fey realm or fairies. The nightmarish memories from his childhood of being a prisoner in enormous iron castle is still haunting his so badly that his heart is nothing but full of hatred against entire fey kind. He even blames them for the distance that has formed between him and his older sister Megan, who fell in love with one of them and left their family. Hence Ethan wouldn't dare to think or look at the fey kind; neither could he let them know about his existence or his power to see through the glamour of fairies. Hence when his half breed friend got kidnapped by a new and vicious race of forgotten fairies, and they stared chasing Ethan too, he was forced to enter in the world of NeverNever he despair most, and along with the girl he would never dare to fall for. Of on his mission we see a not so happy family reunion; we again met the icy prince and the great prankster, the dark muse and our beloved fur-ball.

Ethan, Kenzie and Keirran

Ethan was kind of brooding and smoking hot, also occasional jerk-ass. I could help but mentioning how Ethan somehow reminded me of Ash. Ethan has always kept a bad boy image to build a barrier around hi true self, kind of the icy walls Ash used to shield his soft interior. But as the book progressed, we saw who Ethan Chase is actually deep down. The façade of rudeness and a tough guy image is just a cover for his rebellious spirit, his true feelings for the girl he is afraid to fall in love with and the pain and the anger he is carrying with him.
He has no fey magic to fight of the evils; he is just a human teenage boy who is extraordinarily skilled in martial arts. When I first read about Ethan, he was a toddler, now it’s strange to read about him that he has grown into a hot-ass hero.

However I’m more impressed by the female protagonist Mackenzie St. James or Kenzie, as we call her. She was just kick-ass as any boys of her age, and also the girl who secretly melted Ethan’s heart. She much more than what is seems to be, I just can’t stop appalling for her. She made me smile, and brought tears in my eyes as the same time. She didn’t flinch to make deals with fairies; she didn’t back away from Ethan, even if she was gravely unwell to go on with him. She was fearless of any incoming danger, audacious explorer who wants to see everything and experience them. You rock girl.

Now talking about Keirran, I just don’t believe Ash is his father, I mean what the freaking hell, Ash became a father? Really?
However half-fey and half human Keirran was shadow of Meghan, rather than Ash, and he got same features as her, and skills as Ash, swift and deadly. Keirran is master extraordinary power; he can exert three kinds of magic, summer, winter and Iron. He played a major role in The Lost Prince, he accompanied Ethan and Kenzie into their quest (imagine Ethan has a nephew of same age) and fought battles beside them. I wonder why Puck mentioned Ethan and Keirran reminded him about a certain pair (Rings a bell? Yeah, he was talking about him and Ash, and their golden old days)

The Old Legends

Well, when we are talking about the spin off of The iron Fey, how can we possibly forget to mention our Iron Legends, Meghan, Ash, Puck (ohhh Baby!!!) and Grimalkin. Meghan is no longer that teenager girl we knew; she is now ruler of Iron realm, more powerful and responsible. Still handsome as ever, Ash is Meghan’s iron Knight, and father of her son (sigh!).
Well, good news is my Puck, the prankster is single (and ready to be mingled with me). He appeared only twice in the book, and both time he kicked some ass (Yo love, you rock).
My cutie Grimalkin was with the trio for all the time, and who could be the best guide to NeverNever other than him.

Overall Thoughts

As a fan of The Iron Fey series, I had very high expectation for The Lost Prince, and I was breathlessly waiting for the book to come out quickly. And, I was again spellbound by my favorite storyteller, author Julie Kagawa. Her gorgeous prose and amazing story weaving kept me hooked on the book until late night. Any Iron Fey fan in any corner of the world wouldn't dare to miss the book, and I bet my money on that.

Update 15-10-2012 : just finished with The Lost prince, and fainted each time Puck appeared. Also, Kenzie, you girl rocks and you made me cry. I so want to be you best friend now .

Update 17/08/2012 I just got my copy, not a digital one, a 100% read print ARC. My god. It looks so yummy. *faints*

description

Goodness, .. Ethan is so damn fucking hot, I need oxygen and the first chapter behind The Immortal Rules ARC made me hungry for this book so so so much
Holy freak, Hell yeah

description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Prince.

10/14/2012 page 200
52.0% "You are kidding me right? Ethan, you are seriously annoying sometimes" 1 comment
10/14/2012 page 289
76.0% "My Puck just landed with daggers and saved Ethan's ass..wow last night i even dreamed about him" 7 comments

Comments (showing 1-38)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ Maybe because his sister is a Queen, that makes him a Prince.

Soumi Thankfully it's coming out in 2012

Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ Yes, that is fairly soon, considering we are getting this as well as The Immortal Rules from Julie in the same year. Very exciting.

Cathy  Keaton Meghan's son might be in it. Maybe it'll be about him as a child.

Cathy  Keaton Oh, it's actually called "The Lost Prince." The Iron Prince was an error.

Soumi I saw that, ever behind The Immortal Rules ARC first chapter was given by the same name The Lost Prince

rachel oh you got a arc

Soumi yeah.....

rachel i wish i had one was it a giweaway???

message 29: by Claire (new) - added it

Claire Mallet Maybe we'll see Kierran (Meghan and Ash's son) and the former title confirm this : Iron (or Lost) Prince !!!!!!

message 28: by Gabi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gabi Aww, I wanted it to be called the Iron Prince... the 'iron' part in every book title made is unique. :L

Joan{missing the vampire bunny slippers!} Wow that's Ethan??? I had in mind a cute little thing and that's definitely not little! Or cute... :D

Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ Joan3000 wrote: "Wow that's Ethan??? I had in mind a cute little thing and that's definitely not little! Or cute... :D"

Haha, I know what you mean. Clearly some years have passed and he has grown up. But I feel a little awkward about Meghan's little brother being hot. :P Feels kinda wrong.

Joan{missing the vampire bunny slippers!} I don't know about wrong, but it definitely feels weird! :D

Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ Joan3000 wrote: "I don't know about wrong, but it definitely feels weird! :D"

Thats what I meant.

message 23: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy PUCK!!!

Soumi K....he is mine..

message 21: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy Whatever! Just finished reading about him. Sigh. <3

message 20: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy Yes, keep your Ethan.

Soumi I'm not gonna keep Ethan, you can have him, I' dating Puck and the moment I got the book, I went through pages about Puck

Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ Soumi (in love with PUCK) wrote: "I'm not gonna keep Ethan, you can have him, I' dating Puck and the moment I got the book, I went through pages about Puck"

Is Puck in it?

Mitch Lol Katy, still pretending to be interested in Puck when you're really giddy over Kenzie? :p

Yes Puck is in it.

Soumi Yep. My Puck saved Ethan's ass

message 15: by Katy (last edited Aug 17, 2012 09:15AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy Mitch wrote: "Lol Katy, still pretending to be interested in Puck when you're really giddy over Kenzie? :p Yes Puck is in it."

WTH! How did you get over here? LOL! You should see us in frozen's review. Poor guy. My gushing over Kenzie does not nearly compare.

And no, Soumi, you're blatantly telling us how you want to sleep with the The Lost Prince. Puck doesn't deserve cheaters. Hand him over NOW!

Soumi Duh..I'm sleeping with The Lost Prince but opening the pages that has my Puck. Not with Ethan. He is kind of brother to me. I love one and only Puck

Mitch Soumi, you're my GR friend, right? And friends see other friends' updates on GR (*hint hint Katy*), so I couldn't resist coming here and spilling the beans about how Katy was singing a VERY different tune when we were reading this together.

Nice pic btw.

message 12: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy @ Mitch - You're supposed to be helping me! You're letting Puck fall out of my grasp! If I lose him, you're gonna have to find someone to fill his place. >:(

Soumi You're find someone else?? is that you love for him??? If you say so, you should definitely find a replacement :) :p I will never let him go, and last night i even dreamed about him.

message 10: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy No, I didn't find someone else. Supposedly, Mitch thought I was fangirling over Kenzie.

Soumi LOL...but Ethan is kind of annoying. Seriously I don't like him much :/

message 8: by Katy (last edited Oct 14, 2012 08:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy Not at all. My favorite characters were Kenzie and of course, OUR beloved Puck. (See? I'm being nice.) And I think Keirran has a lot of potential to be great in future books. He could most likely be the next-generation Puck - since Puck said the two reminds him of a duo he used to know.

message 7: by Jody (new) - added it

Jody Get to the good stuff Soumi, how much is Ash in it??

Soumi Katy wrote: "Not at all. My favorite characters were Kenzie and of course, OUR beloved Puck. (See? I'm being nice.) And I think Keirran has a lot of potential to be great in future books. He could most likely b..."
I am so badly admiring Kenzie now, she's my favorite too

Soumi Jody wrote: "Get to the good stuff Soumi, how much is Ash in it??"
Well Ash had presence more than Puck and very protective about his son

message 4: by Jody (new) - added it

Jody aww Ash is so amazing, he should have married me, we would have been so perfect together

Soumi Girl, you have tough competition with Meghan

Marites When we are introduced to the scene where Ethan see's Ash and Kieran sparring, I am reminded that "Oh yeah! Ash and Meaghan made a bay!" lol

*sigh* I need more Ash in my life...

★Geneviève★ very well said. it made me want to read it right away. infact, i will after i hit on comment. toodles. ♥