Jac (For Love and Books)'s Reviews > First Date

First Date by Krista McGee

Jan 02, 12

bookshelves: ya, netgalley, christian-fiction
Read on January 02, 2012

I think most teenage girls would give just about anything to be in Addy's position! Staring in a reality show (think "Bachelor"!!) with the chance to go on a date with the presidents hot son. Unfortunately? Addy is quiet, and would much rather be at home leading her bible study and focusing on school.

The characters we see the most of are Addy and her new best friend - Kara, who happens to be her roommate during the taping of the show. This was a fun friendship to watch grow, and the two girls really helped each other in all the ways that a good BFF should help. This part of the book was by far the most realistic as well, which was a nice break from the insanity that was the rest of this book.

When I say insanity, I mean it in the best way. First? The whole reality show was a bit far fetched (but fun, none the less.) And Addy's lack of desire to be there - yet somehow her teacher and her Uncle (legal guardian) are both conspiring to get her there. And Jonathan - who while he was good looking? He was such a minor character until we neared the end. I felt like he was a second thought.

In the end? I enjoyed this read! It was quick, it was a retelling of the Bible story - Esther, and it shared some of the behind the scenes of the reality tv world! (And I am totally a reality tv junkie!) I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for a cute, quick Christian YA book, as well as hardcore reality fans!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Date.

01/02/2012 page 68