Grace's Reviews > The Sugar Queen

The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen

Jul 26, 08

Read in July, 2008

I requested this book at the library when a friend informed me it had been released. I didn't read anything about the story beforehand...I just knew it was a new book by the author of _Garden Spells_. I'm glad now that I didn't read any information or reviews, because it made the whole story all the more fresh.

Allen seems to be developing a theme between her novels in regard to characterizing a non-human object and giving it a magical and charming life and influence on the other characters. In _Garden Spells_, it was the apple tree. In _The Sugar Queen_ it's.....books. Allen writes these non-human characters so very well, they almost become more dear than the main protagonists.

I enjoy books that surprise me, and books with twists. For this reason, I make an effort sometimes to NOT try to figure out the secrets characters keep. Some authors make this difficult to do because the secret revelations are so obvious. Allen's books manage to surprise me. This book had one surprise twist toward the end that in particular caught me off guard and left me saying "Wow!"

Very highly recommended...best book I've read recently.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sugar Queen.