Heidi's Reviews > Space Boy

Space Boy by Orson Scott Card

Jan 02, 2012

it was ok
Read in January, 2012

Orson Scott Card is so hit-or-miss for me. This one was a definite miss. I've never been a big fan of his urban fantasy, but I thought this one was science fiction (being called Space Boy and all...) and was hoping for an Ender-esque novelette. But, no.

So there are these interstellar worms, and for some reason they keep their head on one world and their anus (yes, the anus) on another world. Travel between worlds is possible by entering a worm's mouth and exiting its anus. It's also possible to shove something (especially fluid) up a worm's anus and have it exit the other side.

Two brothers (10 and 7) have to figure out how to travel to the other world after their mother accidentally gets sucked into the worm's mouth and disappears. And they're hindered by an elf, a little man who comes from the other world and wants to keep the boys' mother there for his own unexplained reasons.

Because this book is apparently written for prepubescent boys, all travel through the worm is done naked (elf, mother, boys, etc.). And the words that these kids used...I wanted to wash their mouths out with soap. I'm sure this book will be beloved by boys who love to use bad words and watch things poop.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Space Boy.