Nafiza's Reviews > The Crown of Embers

The Crown of Embers by Rae Carson

Jan 02, 2012

bookshelves: genre-high-fantasy, read-2013
Read from February 05 to 06, 2013

I had been initially super excited about this novel but then my enthusiasm had flagged. Then it somehow revived and I managed to get my hands on a library copy and started reading it apprehensively. Because I had loved the first novel so very much, I was afraid that the second one would, as sequels somehow inevitably do, let me down. Fortunately for me, this was not the case. The novel’s protagonist is very religious and she worships a Christian god. However, as I said in a status update, it never feels like the author or even the character is preaching about her religion of choice – it is more about spirituality than religiousity. So rather than alienating the non-Christian reader, the characters and the world somehow accepts the differences of the readers without wanting to change them or having them accept that religion. Do I make sense? I hope I do.

Other than that, I really liked Hector. I had pegged him for the actual love interest in the first novel and I was happy to have my suspicions proved correct. I hadn’t been happy when Humberto was killed off in the first novel and I remember being rather vocal about it. I still don’t think he should have been killed off but eh, if it means that there’s room for Hector, so be it. Their love happened gradually and it was interesting to witness it happening.

Rosario is a pretty awesome character for a kid and the courtly intrigues kept me reading. I just didn’t understand why Elisa didn’t assert herself more where the Quorum and Ximena were concerned. Why couldn’t she speak up and tell them what she wanted and why she wanted what she did? Why didn’t she make her thoughts, opinions and desires clear and make them submit to her? She is the queen and she has the right to rule and there is no reason she should not be secure about that. It is not enough, I think, to be told that she is a weak queen when she doesn’t attempt to be stronger. And the whole quest turned out to be a bit anticlimactic because of the realization she makes at the end.

The ending also felt staged rather than organic but I didn’t care by then because I was so invested in the story and the fates of the characters. So yeah, the novel isn’t perfect. But it entertains and it is does so in a grand manner. The world is strong, the characters likable and I really can’t wait to see what happens in the final book of this trilogy. Strongly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crown of Embers.

02/05/2013 page 135
32.0% "What I really like about this book is how Carson manages to deal with spirituality without going religious and preaching at me. Though the book involves a Christian God and I'm definitely not Christian, the discourses on God and faith rather than creating me as another somehow includes me; it shows rather than tells. Oh and also, Hector."
02/06/2013 page 266
64.0% "If Hector marries Alodia, I'm going to be angryfaced for days!"