Jennifer's Reviews > Reached

Reached by Ally Condie

Jan 01, 2013

liked it
Read from December 26, 2012 to January 01, 2013

I'm secretly hoping that the cover will be Cassia standing outside the sphere in the red dress Ky drew her in :) :)

Update: Well, she's not quite OUT of the sphere, but she sure is in a red dress :)

FINISHED REVIEW:
3.5 stars. I'm conflicted. I think Matched is still the best of the trilogy.

I liked the multiple points of view, and found myself especially liking Xander's chapters. I think he was definitely the most interesting character in the book, and I think he's really the only character that experiences any growth in Reached. I'm glad things ended for him the way they did.

I have to admit that a big part of why this book is not a 4 for me is because I didn't connect with Cassia at all. And to be honest, I'm not sure Ky's appeal came across well here either. I kept thinking... Cassia and Ky don't really seem right for each other. I think, realistically, Cassia and Xander are much better suited, which is odd since I really preferred Ky in the past two books. I thought that Indie and Ky would have been a good match.

I also thought the whole Rising/Society fallout was somewhat of a non-event. There was really no rebellion at all, and I'm not really sure I understand the whole Pilot thing...

But I did find the book well written, and I do love Condie's writing style. I enjoyed the book, and was sad for it (and the series) to be finished. I just wish there was a bit more action.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reached.

02/04/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura really...I think the fact that he saw her in red when she told him she was in green and gave him the swatch, shows a little break in their closeness...hopefully one that Xander can spread wider.

Jennifer See, I took it a different way... I didn't think he was meaning the dress from the first book, I thought he was drawing her independence... I'm Team Ki, but I honestly think that's mostly because I don't want her entire 2nd book to be in vain.

message 3: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura very close my friend....another book I can't wait for...probably a good thing I am off all summer!!!

Jennifer It doesn't come out until November, though :(

message 5: by Emma (new)

Emma Hi I am 65% through my book that I m reading

message 6: by Emma (new)

Emma I am really exsited to read sisters eight book 9 beecause I really like, no I should say love, the seires. So far so does Myia.

Mali Cox I agree! I never really understood the Cassia and Ky situation. Xander and Cassia seemed like a better match to me. And Ky and Indie were perfect together. But I do like that Xander ended up with Lei. They're cute together, and both needed each other.

Tashia I also think there wasnt enough going on in the book. the whole thing was really not too eventful. I think it might have been to keep Xander at the forefront, but also the book kind of has me questioning ky's love for cassia. I mean.... he seems like a bit of a ho? not to offend, but im now team Xander, after being team ky through the whole thing. Xander seems more upstanding, and.... rebelious than everything about ky was leading us toward.

Mizuki Ky is great in Matched, but he spends Crossed and Reached complaining about his father and whining about how he doesn't want to join the Rising, from that point onward I think he sucks.

Jennifer Tashia wrote: "I also think there wasnt enough going on in the book. the whole thing was really not too eventful. I think it might have been to keep Xander at the forefront, but also the book kind of has me quest..."

I totally agree Tashia, I felt very suspicious about whether or not Ky truly loved Cassia, and it irked me after everything Cassia had been through for him. I hadn't been a huge fan of Xander until this book.

Jennifer Mizuki wrote: "Ky is great in Matched, but he spends Crossed and Reached complaining about his father and whining about how he doesn't want to join the Rising, from that point onward I think he sucks."

That's really true Mizuki. I lost a lot of respect for Ky's character during Crossed. I felt like Cassia was kind of going through all of that for... nothing.

message 12: by Mizuki (last edited Feb 16, 2013 08:31AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mizuki Not only Ky becomes a whinier and a complainer (I mean, did Ky's father drop the bomb on those villagers? Give me a freaking break!), also the rebellion is all a big fat NOTHING. The Rising sent Cassia back to the Society, but they did not even ask her to do much afterward! And the Pilot, as the leader of a rebellion, strangely enough I know so little about him, for most of the time I don't even know how he looks like! What kind of leader is that!?

Jennifer Mizuki wrote: "Not only Ky becomes a whinier and a complainer (I mean, did Ky's father drop the bomb on those villagers? Give me a freaking break!), also the rebellion is all a big fat NOTHING. The Rising sent Ca..."

Agreed! I kept thinking that I had missed something in regards to the Pilot... like, is it someone we read about previously, and I've just forgotten??? It confused me. All of the Rising members just blindly accept that this Pilot is going to save them? It annoyed me.

Mizuki it's unacceptable for an rebel leader to have no character and charm, who on earth would fight for such an empty leader!?

Derya "I also thought the whole Rising/Society fallout was somewhat of a non-event."
Totally! I have problems with that. It's really a non-event.

Melissa I think the cover was made red because of the tablet them?

message 17: by Tyla (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tyla Totally agree with everything. If i were Cassia i would have chosen Xander because hes more caring and firm whereas ky seemed to want to be more by him self.

Jasmine I think that I'm still team Ky. I was from the beginning to the end. I feel like the WHOLE POINT of the story was saying that sometimes it is better to rebel. Don't be normal and stay inside the lines. Yes, Cassia and Xander would have been a good match, but she trusted in herself and rebelled against the Society.

Jasmine It all made sense to me

Melissa Jasmine wrote: "It all made sense to me"

Then again she wasn't rebelling that much considering Ky was her "match" too. Ky and Xander were both her perfect matches, I just wish she chose Xander.