Anne's Reviews > Nothing Daunted: The Unexpected Education of Two Society Girls in the West

Nothing Daunted by Dorothy Wickenden

Jan 03, 12

bookshelves: clean-reads, history
Read from January 02 to 03, 2012

I'm a little burned out on the "short story padded with a huge amount of surrounding historical details to make it book-length" genre at the moment. I'm on vacation, though, and this is the only book I brought along.
I picked it up, because I'm a sucker for women's histories and adventures, and I'm an alum of Smith as these women were. However, as I said, I've encountered too many books like this lately to really be thrilled by all the detail about the women's neighbors and such like. Anyway... Plugging on...

Edited to add: I ended up enjoying the book far more once the author had gotten through the larger part of her back stories and explanations and began to focus on the women in earnest. I will say there was one moment when I thought she was going to go into extreme detail about the geology of the rocks used to build the school, but she reigned it back in and in the end, I did not throw the book out the window and it got more enjoyable from that point onward. I do think she could have spent more time on the women an their lives and less on delving quite so deeply into the backstory of the railroad they traveled on and the clandestine love affairs of fellow travelers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nothing Daunted.