Melinda's Reviews > A Long, Long Time Ago and Essentially True

A Long, Long Time Ago and Essentially True by Brigid Pasulka

Jan 02, 12

bookshelves: audio
Read in January, 2012

I am reviewing the version of this book.

I didn't know what to expect from this book....but I truly loved it. It goes back and forth between the WWII years in Poland and the immediate aftermath and Poland in the 80's and 90's where change is still on the brink as they shed off their Soviet clothing and remember who they are as Poles. It flows easily between the two eras and the two eras are brought together in the end in a most beautiful, soft and complete way... the author didn't have to force anything.

I listened to this book on a whim because the story sounded fascinating and I liked the title. I love the friendship of the three women in the "present" and I love all of the Villagers who eventually become completely disbanded from each other and come together again. I have read enough novels by Soviet writers and I believe I understand the Soviet mind a bit... they thought they had the answers...but they did not. At least not for the Polish people.

When listening to an audiobook there are 2 components: the story written by the author and the narrator. Without checking, I figured there had to be 2 narrators since the voices were all so finely done...but it is ONE narrator and she is just remarkable. Sometimes I don't enjoy women as much as men, but Cassandra Campbell totally pulls it off. 5/5 stars for both narration and story! This book really endeared me to it.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Long, Long Time Ago and Essentially True.