Sanjida Kamal's Reviews > The Thirteenth Tale

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

F_50x66
Jan 04, 12

Read from January 02 to 04, 2012

It's been a while since I've been so engrossed in a book but this book has that affect on you. It reminded me so much of a Gothic novel and indeed there were parts that mimicked books like "Turn of the Screw" or "Jane Eyre" and so on. The mystery pushes you to keep reading and reading until you occasionally stumble upon an unexpected turn and you just keep reading even more. Books that allude to the love of reading somehow make me want to read it more and clearly this book has that theme throughout. The main character is in love with books more than she is with people and somehow her love of books translates through the page and makes you want to continue reading. The reason I give it 4/5 stars is that the major theme of the novel relies on classics like "Jane Eyre" and "Wuthering Heights" to create the atmosphere that it does and that seems a little unoriginal. I love those kinds of books but the story was too similar to those books and came off unoriginal in that sense. Other than that, this book was amazing. It may seem contradictory to say that this book's flaw was its unoriginal connection with Gothic novels and then to say that is exactly what makes the book so great, but that's how it is. Either way, if you love a good mystery combined with eery suspense, then this is the book for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thirteenth Tale.

Quotes Sanjida Liked

Diane Setterfield
“People disappear when they die. Their voice, their laughter, the warmth of their breath. Their flesh. Eventually their bones. All living memory of them ceases. This is both dreadful and natural. Yet for some there is an exception to this annihilation. For in the books they write they continue to exist. We can rediscover them. Their humor, their tone of voice, their moods. Through the written word they can anger you or make you happy. They can comfort you. They can perplex you. They can alter you. All this, even though they are dead. Like flies in amber, like corpses frozen in the ice, that which according to the laws of nature should pass away is, by the miracle of ink on paper, preserved. It is a kind of magic.”
Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale