Urban Crow's Reviews > The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

U 50x66
Jan 02, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: science, non-fiction, skepticism

this book sets out to debunk a lot of the crop-circle, ufo, faith-healer mythology that is out there in the world, and i picked it up for precisely this reason. it’s not that i don’t want to believe on some level, but i also am interested in all explanations for phenomena, particularly about some things. sagan spends most of his time in this book examining ufo claims, but also ventures into other subjects, and ends the book by criticizing the lack for solid education (and specifically science education) available in modern america. really, to accept sagan’s argument, you have to accept a whole paradigm that says science is right and civilization is always good, and if we can’t prove it through civilization’s scientific methods, it doesn’t exist. there is no room in this exploration for intuition, and certainly no acceptance that indigenous mythology may contain truths we don’t understand in our current state. an interesting read, for sure, but sagan’s scientific ego is large and unfortunately this causes him to stop short of going to the lengths he needs to in order to “prove? his arguments.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demon-Haunted World.