Katie's Reviews > Disney after Dark

Disney after Dark by Ridley Pearson

Jan 02, 2012

bookshelves: 2012
Read from January 02 to 19, 2012

(You can read my full review -Here-.)

I've never been to Disney World, can you imagine that? As if a vital part of my childhood is somehow missing, I still am eager to visit the magical land that has enchanted fans for years. Though I can not pick off of personal experience from the park, I can try to picture it in my mind through others, movies and books, correct? I picked up Ridley Pearson's Kingdom Keepers book on Kindle to help me do just that. While these books are geared more towards kids much younger than I, a college girl, I still was able to enjoy the books immensely!

As the description above tells us, the main character of our story is Finn Whitman, among four other teens, is a new DHI (Disney Host Interactive) to Disney World. These holographic images of the kids guide tourists around the parks, spitting out information about different rides. Though they are hailed as celebrities to the parks, the children soon wish their choice had been different. For when they sleep, they enter into the parks, after dark, as their DHI selves. Upon meeting a mysterious figure named Wayne, they are told a fantastical tale about a group called the Overtakers. But who might these beings be? The animatronic pirates are the first of these creatures the children will meet, but someone else bigger than that awaits them. Maleficent, the evil sorceress from Sleeping Beauty. These Overtakers seek to take over the parks, but ultimately, they want to take over more. Through the mission that Wayne has given the five children, they are expected to search for things that Walt Disney himself has left behind to help stop the Overtakers from prevailing. But will they complete this mission in time, or will they be caught in the act?

I really did enjoy the story. At first, I was a bit hesitant, mainly because the writing wasn't as high quality as I am used to. I put on my realistic cap, though, and remembered that these were geared toward pre and younger teens. As a college sophomore, though, I really did end up quite liking the story! A few complaints was that the beginning seemed to drag on a bit and there were a few grammatical/punctuational mistakes that occurred. It wasn't enough to cause me to put the book down, however. The book turned out to be a great adventure and I very much enjoyed following the children along their dangerous paths. In fact, I've already purchased the second book on my Kindle and am waiting to read it!

I recommend these books to pre-teens on up who enjoy a good modern-day based adventure tale!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Disney after Dark.

01/02/2012