Nikki's Reviews > Slightly Dangerous

Jan 05, 12

bookshelves: own-ebook, holiday-reads, historical, gradual-romance, 3-stars
Read on January 03, 2012

3 stars.

This is my first foray into Mary Balogh and the book's blurb and reviews got me pretty excited so I bumped it to the top of my TBR. I really, really wanted to enjoy it but in spite of a solid beginning it just couldn't maintain momentum.

Firstly, it was just too similar to Pride and Prejudice. The H/h, the timeline of plot events, the proposals. I'm sorry but you just can't do that with a classic like P&P. Besides the fact that I kept envisioning Jennifer Ehle's cheeky eyes whenever Balogh describes Christine's eyes "laughing" at Wulfric.

Christine was presented as someone who was joyful, lighthearted and full of life etc etc -- which she was at first; but when she was so adamantly denying Wulfric and the feelings she may have felt for him, she ended up being annoying and bitchy and I just felt extremely frustrated by her. In fact, these characters were trying so hard to not be attracted to one another that it completely put me off!

I did like the writing and some aspects of the story but most of the time I was desperate to finish it not because it drew me in, but because I wanted to ensure that there was actually a HEA at the end. I know this is a big favourite in the romance world but I just couldn't feel it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slightly Dangerous.

01/02/2012
42.0% "Oh Wulfric and Christine! Stop lying to yourselves!! It's MUCH more than physical between you!!!"
01/03/2012
72.0% "For heaven's sake! I've never read a book where the H/h were THIS desperate to NOT be attracted to each other!!!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Ooooh! Wulfric gets the perfect heroine. His little eye piece or is it quizzing glass. LOL

Nikki Men of 35 should most definitely NOT be using a quizzing glass! Too weird!

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) It's his armor. :o)

Nikki True. Towards the end I felt a bit more sympathetic about Wulfric and his little quizzing glass.

Catherine I really enjoyed this one. The buildup of Wulfric through the series was great. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it more.

P.S. I loved whenever Christine would tease Wulfric about his quizzing glass.

Nikki Haha I giggled when Christine teased Wulfric about the quizzing glass too.

I think I was just dismayed by the fact that they didn't want to fancy each other. I know that was their characterisation and helped to build tension in the plot; but when you get to over 70% of a book and they're still carrying on like that, you want the author to give you something.